1.5 alternator (fan?) belt

Galeomma

Featured Posts

Hi folks. Has anyone got the size or part no. for the fan belt for my BMC 1.5. The manual doesn't mention it and the markings are long gone off the one on the boat.

Google doesn't come up with any answers either.

I just want a spare.

The pulley sizes on our BMC 1.5 are:- Crankshaft -184mm, Alternator - 64mm. If those on your engine are the same size (or similar) you need a belt sized 1050 x 9.5 If your pulleys have been opened out you will probably require 1050 x 13.5.

Thanks all, will take the belt off as I have a 55W alternator which I gather isn't standard.

A 4.5 amp alternator? Definitely non-standard and less use than an outboard's charging system.

I think that you mean 55 amps and that is far from non-standard. The BMC 1.5 has been around for so long it started life with a dynamo and then alternators of varying size depending upon the availability at the time and the owner's wishes. It could be anything form a 10/11AC, through the ACR range to the A127, but that's just from the Lucas range. Owners could have fitted anything.

I think that is behind the raw water pump pulley. If so then you take the raw water pump belt off first. Without seeing the raw water pump I woudl advise that you leave that belt rather slacker than recommended for alternator bets. Some of those raw water pump shafts simply run in the body of the pump and belt tension can cause the hole to wear oval and then the pump tends to suck air.