River Derwent blocked by fallen tree.

Kieron G

Featured Posts

• 4 months later...

Tree has now been shifted, ( not too hasty ). Only problem is that just upstream at the site of the broken bridge large branches washed downstream are pinned across the stanchions. Have chainsawed and used boat to yank out as much as i can get to above water level . I hope when river level drops if remaining branches stay pinned at same height i might be able to reach them with saw and clear the route back up to Elvington lock again. There were at least three narrowboats that made it up there last year. Will keep this thread updated.

Not good i'm sorry to say. I went to the meeting at Elvington last year. EA took pictures of the guilotine lock gate frame work showing the extent of corrosion and said the whole thing needs overhauling, they haven't got the money for it and only have responsibility to maintain levels for the treatment works not access for boats. A local business man in the area ( who is refurbing the lock plaque to EL ) has offered to buy and maintain the lock but i guess it's not that simple. I was told that Yorkshire wildlife who own the lower wooden gates ( which are rotten ) were invited to the meeting but didn't turn up.

The Pocklington canal has a trip canal boat called ' New horizons ' which travels from Melbourne arm but not the full length of the canal, about half i guess. Maybe because of this the Melbourne end of the canal is dredged regularly and has good depth,but getting that far from the Derwent can get shallow, not a problem though i don't think. The locks and swing bridges are really well maintained. In the year and a half i've been visiting / moored on the Derwent depth has never been a problem, it does get tight in places between Thorganby and Elvington with some tight bends and overhanging trees, harder to negotiate coming back downstream, i came down in front of a friends a 58ft narrowboat with a hand saw to cut low branches last year and we had no problems. Hope this helps Tim.

The Pocklington canal has a trip canal boat called ' New horizons ' which travels from Melbourne arm but not the full length of the canal, about half i guess. Maybe because of this the Melbourne end of the canal is dredged regularly and has good depth,but getting that far from the Derwent can get shallow, not a problem though i don't think. The locks and swing bridges are really well maintained. In the year and a half i've been visiting / moored on the Derwent depth has never been a problem, it does get tight in places between Thorganby and Elvington with some tight bends and overhanging trees, harder to negotiate coming back downstream, i came down in front of a friends a 58ft narrowboat with a hand saw to cut low branches last year and we had no problems. Hope this helps Tim.

Thanks, I have 3'6" draught, can be reduced to 3'3" with ballast pumping, would quite like to give it a try but don't want to spend all my time struggling

Tim

No , i'm sure you would be fine . I was on the canal at the same time as a visiting narrowboat last Sept , They had no problems. I think outboards and outdrives can have problems with prop damage, i got stuck once on the canal but just reversed off and had another go.