Help with finding hireboats

Pete of Ebor

Featured Posts

Looking for a bit of help in locating hireboats in the Sheffield or Knottingley areas. We're looking to try to do the SSYN. Never done any of it before, and we're lookig for an 8+ berth boat (7 men and 1 woman, so maximum of one doulbe bed!) either around Sheffield or within 3 days cruising of it. The 'big boys' (Anglowelsh, Black Prince, Viking etc) don't appear have any bases in that area, so I was wondering where to find info about small independent hire bases. Is there any central list, or does anyone local to that area have any recommendations ?

Looking for a bit of help in locating hireboats in the Sheffield or Knottingley areas. We're looking to try to do the SSYN. Never done any of it before, and we're lookig for an 8+ berth boat (7 men and 1 woman, so maximum of one doulbe bed!) either around Sheffield or within 3 days cruising of it. The 'big boys' (Anglowelsh, Black Prince, Viking etc) don't appear have any bases in that area, so I was wondering where to find info about small independent hire bases. Is there any central list, or does anyone local to that area have any recommendations ?

These are the only hire company I know of around our way. I've seem their boats out a few times but never used them personally.

It seems a max. Of six berth only though. I don't know of any others in this neck of the woods though.

http://www.yorkshirenarrowboats.com/journeys

I suppose an option would be to hire both boats but that would be very expensive unless you could negotiate a big discount on one of them or both.

Edited by The Dog House

They are not based within three days of Sheffield but Shire Cruisers at Sowerby Bridge list a 14 day adventure cruise to Sheffield, 158 miles, 114 locks, some locks being electric, and 70 hours cruising. They have eight and ten berth boats available with singles and one double bed, boats are 56 foot long. I’ve only hired a four berth from them some years back, so can’t really comment on the boats or the route. http://www.shirecruisers.co.uk/routes/canal-adventure-holidays.php

It isn't a huge surprise that very few companies are based around here - in all my time on CW, I can't recall a previous enquiry.

Indeed, when we relocated in 2010 to Selby when the L&L closed, trying to sell holidays on the Aire and Calder was nigh on impossible.

I think the advice of booking both boats from Yorkshire Narrowboats is sensible.

They are not based within three days of Sheffield but Shire Cruisers at Sowerby Bridge list a 14 day adventure cruise to Sheffield, 158 miles, 114 locks, some locks being electric, and 70 hours cruising. They have eight and ten berth boats available with singles and one double bed, boats are 56 foot long. I’ve only hired a four berth from them some years back, so can’t really comment on the boats or the route. http://www.shirecruisers.co.uk/routes/canal-adventure-holidays.php

Beat me to it I was going to say the same.

And got to add, they are the best hire company I've been with