Sluggish engine

RobP

Featured Posts

I'm not sure what the answer to this question would tell us, but I think it might be significant.

MtB

Yes you do. If you stop the engine and start it immediately and it is fine, then stop it and leave it overnight and it is underpowered - it's an air leak

Richard

So there we have the extremes.

I'd be inclined to fish and see how long the engine can rest for, before the problem returns.

But I agree, it sounds like an air leak to me messing up a couple of injectors at least which then self purge as you say. I wouldn't expect just one cyl down to have such a big effect on revs in gear.

Anyway must go, boiler to mend in north London!

MtB

OK - latest news.

We left the mooring at Bardney, turned and went to the lock/san station, and it ran fine from the off.

Stopped for 10 minutes to water & de-toilet & walk the dogs, then started up again and lack of power!

Normal service was resumed in a couple of minutes, and we were off - but this time she would not rev over 1500rpm in gear.

Popping into neutral and revs ok.

I am begining to suspect an intermittent fault in the governor?

Had another spanner session, tightened all fuel line joints and filter housiings, things have improved, but we still have the same problem, just not as pronounced. Started from visitor moorings at Torksey and she was sluggish at first running the last Km down to the lock, but managed to get from Torksey to West Stockwith on Friday out on the remaining flood managed 3mph against the flow, 6 - 7 mph in slack, and got into WS lock against the ebb, so the power is there once she clears her throat.