Steca PR1010 - error codes etc

Barroca Grande 2

Featured Posts

Hi (me again but been so long I had forgotten my original details hence the 2)

I have flattened my batteries and whilst I am recharging with the engine I wondered if the reason the batteries flattened was because my solar panels had stopped working. The controller was reading normal but I just had to remove the fuse and replace it (just in case the fuse had blown!)

Now I have a spanner and an E06 code

I have sent an email to Steca for a more useful downloadable manual

In the meantime I wondered if any of you knew what the codes meant and as I have pressed various buttons in various combinations I may have messed up the original settings.

the other codes/settings I now have are

arrow battery arrow with 50C below it
moon arrow lightbulb - off
moon battery lightbulb PrE
sun battery lightbulb three columns of three dashes
battery 5n (I have 6 batteries but 5 are together and one on the swim)
battery gel (I have gel batteries so I think that setting is still ok)

When you scroll through normally it is reading the battery status correctly agreeing with the smartgauge and the multimeter but it is

zero amps
sun to battery no amps
battery to lightbulb no amps
sun arrow 12.8kah
all with a non smiling face

Thanks in advance

Kath nb bobcat

Ooh I have just pressed some more buttons and all is hunky dory again - I think

I have a couple of smiling faces still no A's

I probably still need the error codes and an idea what the various symbols mean.

Thanks

Kath

Yes, mine throws that wobbly occasionally, especially with very well charged batteries and it has always sorted itself out by morning.

The codes as requested:

All prefixed by E. The actions to take are a bit complicated so best get the manual.

02 Internal communication error

03 External communication error

04 Short circuit external temperature sensor

05 Excessive temperature

06 No solar modual connected

07 Battery voltage too low

08 Ditto but too high

09 Load current too high (probably on the solar load side rather than battery charging)

10 Input current too high (from solar)

11 Short circuit at the load output

12 - not listed see below

13 No battery connected

Moon symbol on during the day - Short circuit within module

Display shows spanner, battery, + & -, and sad face - Battery reverse connected.

The solar is now the least of my problems. One of the batteries has blown up. I am now waiting for replacements and an engineer. Glad it happened before I got out onto the Thames at Brentford tomorrow!!! clearly this was why they failed so completely. But when I checked them this morning with the multimeter they all read the same so no indication that one was particularly BAD.

I have covered the solar panels over to stop the gassing - hopefully I won't die in my sleep tonight.

I wanted to know how to remove the offending battery so that short term I could carry on with the others but ... I've been told it will be fine. My butter is now residing in the boat in front! The first to abandon ship.

Yes, mine throws that wobbly occasionally, especially with very well charged batteries and it has always sorted itself out by morning.

The codes as requested:

All prefixed by E. The actions to take are a bit complicated so best get the manual.

02 Internal communication error

03 External communication error

04 Short circuit external temperature sensor

05 Excessive temperature

06 No solar modual connected

07 Battery voltage too low

08 Ditto but too high

09 Load current too high (probably on the solar load side rather than battery charging)

10 Input current too high (from solar)

11 Short circuit at the load output

12 - not listed see below

13 No battery connected

Moon symbol on during the day - Short circuit within module

Display shows spanner, battery, + & -, and sad face - Battery reverse connected.

Thanks Tony I have made a note for future reference. I think I got the E06 because I had messed around. Once I got that sorted smiley faces all round. but I have had to cover it over now.

Removing a battery procedure rather depends upon its location and the electrical equipment on the boat & how it is wired but here goes:

Turn off the master switches and ALL electrical equipment - do not just rely upon the master switches.

If on a GRP, wooden, or steel boat with absolutely NO chance of the spanner bridging between a battery positive & any metal: Disconnect all the positives, then negatives, remove battery, reconnect the rest negative first then negatives.

If on a metal boat or a boat where there is a chance the spanner could bridge between battery positive and any metalwork: Double check ALL electrical equipment is turned off at their own switches. Disconnect all the negatives, then positive, remove battery, reconnect the rest positives first then negatives.

This apparently complicated set of instructions relate to the possibility that some equipment may bypass the master switches and if so doing something odd while the negatives are disconnected but the positives connected can under some circumstances cause damage to the electrical system.

Hi,

Not sure if this is relevant but the handbook implies the solar panels should be disconnected from the Steca + & - before the batteries are disconnected.

From installation manual -

Observe the following connection sequence when commissioning the
system:
1. Connect the battery to the charge controller – plus and minus.
2. Connect the photovoltaic modules to the charge controller – plus and
minus.
3. Connect the load to the charge controller – plus and minus.
Follow the reverse procedure when uninstalling!
Note: If you do not follow the correct connection sequence, automatic
adjustment for 12 V / 24 V systems will not work correctly and the battery
can be damaged!

Mark.

Thanks all. Been a nightmare but finally got old batteries taken away and new ones installed. Haven't been able to get on line for what seems like forever.

I am learning to cope with half the battery bank I had before. MSO Marine kindly also printed off the manual for the Steca. Was a bit concerned when the E06 error reared its ugly head again and as this error code doesn't exist in the manual I think the controller may be faulty. So I covered the panels over again. Took the covers off last night and so far so good this morning. However whilst the covers were over the panels I still got the E03 error on the smartgauge and this was before the batteries were at 100%. So maybe my alternator on the engine is the one spiking? Or a diode? (Says she with no idea what a diode is!!).

I can't seem to run the fridge when the engine is turned off. So either it is faulty hence the batteries being flattened or I need to get some more batteries pronto.

I wish I had never come South - the expense - everything is going mad/faulty at the same time. Plus the wind yesterday knocking branches off the tree I am moored under! But the big ones all missed me and I am moving on today.

Thanks for all your help.

Kath

C'mon Smartgauge fans, help out a damsel in distress... judge.gif

Wonder if there's some iffy batt terminals/connections/isolator/fuseholder somewhere, could have been missed by the engineer.

Smartguage should be wired direct to batt terminals, only thing in between being a small value fuse in the positive near the batts.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

As far as I know the cables to the fridge are fairly hefty as I had picked up on the problems with them being undersized when the boat was being fitted out.

Having said that hefty probably means different things to different people. So

I have just had a look at the wires going into the back of the fuse box for the fridge and it says

6mm heat resisting 90 07/03

Don't know about voltage drop as I don't have the knowhow for that.

The smartgauge says the batteries are hovering between 14.6 and 14.55 when the engine is running but then the E03 error happens and I never see it going any higher than that.

I uncovered the solar panels yesterday and for ages I had smiley faces then suddenly dun dun dun E06 on the Steca and on looking at the self test 110 which is definitely faulty controller.

I am wondering if it is because I still have the old starter battery and it is a gel battery (very healthy one). The new bank of three leisure batteries are no longer gel but liquid. The solar panel wiring goes into the leisure batteries but there is a link via the negative terminals from the leisure bank to the starter (is this something to do with the smartgauge?) Could this connection be why everything is going pearshaped? 1 gel battery and 3 liquid?

I have taken a picture of the updated wiring diagram (by me so not sure of one set of wires as the label is underneath the wire) when I get home and have a better internet connection I might try and upload it here. I have also taken a picture of the two leisure batteries bearing the brunt of the connections. Again I will try and upload this when I am home.

Thanks

Kath

I think that you are confusing the situation by not making it clear exactly what is showing the E03 code. I think it is the Smartguage, not the Stecca and if so it is doing exactly what it is supposed to. I bet you still have it set to gel so it considers the alternator voltage to be excessive, even though its fine for the new wet lead acid batteries. Try resetting the Smartguage to type 4 - Hybrid (I am assuming your new batteries are ordinary lead calcium leisure types).

That alternator charging voltage will over time damage the remaining gel battery so be prepared to get a new one when it eventually fails.

Most 12V compressor fridges (not gas/12V/mains 3 way fridges) use a Danfoss compressor and Danfoss demand 1 sq mm conductor cross sectional area for each metre between battery and fridge so if your fridge is more than 6m from the batteries the cable is undersized. Use the same size for the negative run and please follow the manufacturer's wiring instructions and the BSS requirements.

Here goes with some pictures - if it works.

This should show the original batteries and the Steca in the background with the error code E06

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ymEjXdhg7Zk/U--COP3CSqI/AAAAAAAAB8I/BfUM9CjyIms/s1600/P1010348.JPG

This should be the new electrical diagram. The Victron has two cables original diagram only shows one so I've only shown one.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LV96XqZ3mfk/U--D3uUnttI/AAAAAAAAB80/7w4th-OvJ7Y/s1600/P1010438.JPG

Two new batteries in the spot the five were.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pkeguQ2qR2s/U--EQ2Rt6XI/AAAAAAAAB88/12DVvfpBPYE/s1600/P1010442.JPG

The third new battery is where the sixth battery used to be on the swim next to the starter battery. Needed to be there because of the cable lengths being reused.

When I get back to the boat I will attempt to tell the Smartgauge that the new batteries are no longer gel. I have downloaded the manual. For information the new batteries are Banner Energy Bull 115v

Hopefully this will stop the smartgauge having the E03 error.

Thanks

Kath

Thanks Tony for the tip about the smartgauge. I have changed it to hybrid and so far no E03 error.

I now just need to find out about the E06 error on the Steca pr1010 which disappointingly reared its ugly head again at lunchtime after the engine had been switched off for about 20mins. I had uncovered the solar panels the night before so they had been uncovered all morning and while the engine was running for 3 hours. At least with the vol setting the Steca has happy smiley face and zero amps going in from the solar when the engine is running.

In the morning I had about 1amp going in from the solar panels when the batteries were at around 85%. So it must be associated to the batteries being at 100% and a very sunny day. Back to the drawing board. Panels covered over again!

As Tony quoted, E06 is 'no panels connected':

http://www.batterystuff.com/manuals/manual-PR1010.pdf

What voltage is on the solar panel terminals when it comes up with E06? Are the panels shaded in any way? Are the screw terminals tight and all connections sound?

There's a thread that suggests the Steca sends a small current through the panels to detect they're present, and a workaround is to connect a 20k resistor across the panel terminals:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://energiaalternativa.forumcommunity.net/%3Ft%3D47792987&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsteca%2Be06%2Bforum%26num%3D100%26hl%3Den-GB

What MAY also help is turning 'night mode' to off, my guess is the Steca uses panel detection so the batts don't get run down if night mode is on and the panels are disconnected. Why it should happen in daytime I don't know, unless there's a poor connection somewhere.

If all else fails maybe try contacting Steca.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

From observations on my boat I have a half baked theory about the E06 code. When it happens to me seems to be towards the end of a day that has had many hours of engine running and the sun dropping. I have a feeling it may occasionally trigger with a high/rising alternator charging voltage and a low/falling panel voltage. A separate voltmeter seems to indicate that after shutting the engine down the panel is still charging but it is very hard to be sure because of surface charge.

the E06 cures itself overnight I just ignore it. I have checked the connections etc.