Android phone as a tracker

phill

Featured Posts

I'm thinking of using an Android phone as a tracker on my boat.

Assuming charging is not a problem, what's the cheapest PAYG phone deal to keep it on, obviously it doesn't need to make calls or data, simply remain online so that I can use Android Device Manager to track my boat if stolen?

If you have a GiffGaff SIM - how does it work if you never use the credit? Do you have to make a call every so often?

It's a rather different application to a PAYG phone. My mother had a Tesco mobile that needed £10 of credit every year to keep it live but that was years ago.

If you have a GiffGaff SIM - how does it work if you never use the credit? Do you have to make a call every so often?

It's a rather different application to a PAYG phone. My mother had a Tesco mobile that needed £10 of credit every year to keep it live but that was years ago.

I think you need to make a call or sms at least every 6 months to keep the number active (and you get plenty of warning). The credit doesn't time out I believe.

I'm thinking of using an Android phone as a tracker on my boat.Assuming charging is not a problem, what's the cheapest PAYG phone deal to keep it on, obviously it doesn't need to make calls or data, simply remain online so that I can use Android Device Manager to track my boat if stolen?

AFAIK nobody does PAYG Sims cheaper than Three on a phone. Their 321 Sim is 3p per min, 2p per text and 1p per mb.

https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Free_SIM/Order

Edited by The Dog House

Read the small print in the phone and the sim information.

My phone goes into airline mode if not used for three days, some sims hold their credit til used some have a time limit. You can buy proper tracker units that send texts on alarm activation, with proper sims that work world wide and never expire. I've seen these for sail boats kept in the Med that are able to text to the UK when alarms occur, and you can select what conditions give what message, and they have a range of numbers for it to call.

As DH says Three's 321 is the cheapest. Giffgaff is only cheap if a monthly 'goodybag' is purchased, otherwise it uses credit with no expiry date.Though that is cheaper than the usual PAYG it can't compete with Three's 321, I have one in my phone on a twin sim device as a backup, it has an app that let's me switch sims if my normal Vodafone signal is bad. Also have a Giffgaff sim as a backup, shame there isn't triple sim devices, or a quadruple one even.

My experience is that 3 are pretty quick to cancel PAYG sims (without any warning) that have not been used for a while. Giffgaff seem less so inclined. A good check on terms and conditions is required, and if the terminate on non use is not explicit, don't go with that Telco. Go with a sim designed for a tracker if you can.

On android systems, just being online will use some data for handshaking and auto updating.

Go with a sim designed for a tracker if you can.

The only dedicated GPS / GSM trackers I can find have fairly obscure (and swinging) tariffs for use. For instance I looked at this one; and nowhere (until you ring up and ask) does it make clear it costs 9p to arm and 9p to disarm.

Genuine GPS Tracker Magnetic Car Vehicle Spy Mini Personal Tracking Device TK102

I am also interested in getting a Tracker (for instance that one) and putting in a third party SIM. For instance, Three, GiffGaff and Lycamobile offer free texts to other mobiles on the same network.

Keep googling til you get a proper boat alarm system with suitable texting package and suitable sim package.

Remember that the power lost by the charger while keeping the phone on will eat into battery life. You will need a suitable solar electric system scaled to power the alarm through the winter, in addition to your normal battery and charger system.

Where would you place it, so its GPS receiver is still working well? In a roof locker? You need to find a place which has good GPS signal and a 12V power connection, I suspect the proper trackers have provision for an external GPS aerial. I'd be interested if you get it all working though, it could be a useful little thing.

I've decided to go with this;

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111201679112

And a lycamobile SIM. Works on GPRS and Lycamobile to lycamobile texts are free.

Wooden cabin so easier placement. Though I'll put it high. There's another identical device with two aerials but this one is tiny so can be hidden and visible aerials will give the game away. . Plant pot on the roof?

It will text you if it moves.

I'll report back.

Main expense ( maybe) might be the dual sim phone to act as a receiver.

The trackers with aerials are designed to track vehicles out and about, delivery vans and so on though there is also one with alarm and tamper functions.

Where would you place it, so its GPS receiver is still working well? In a roof locker? You need to find a place which has good GPS signal and a 12V power connection, I suspect the proper trackers have provision for an external GPS aerial. I'd be interested if you get it all working though, it could be a useful little thing.

I can recommend the 'Boat Warden' system. In addition to the tracking facility it provides a host of useful alarm, monitoring and switching features via a smartphone app. It uses a PAYG sim and no monitoring fees. It has performed faultlessly over the three years we have had it installed.

It uses an external combined gps/3G aerial.

www.boatwarden.com

Ken