Featured Posts

So what sort of boat did you have in mind when you asked initially? If it's an offshore boat as you're based in US, you'd probably be better off asking on a more relevant forum like YBW or CruisersForums, I'd be interested in what they have to say. Maybe NMEA could give some details of instances where he'd seen failures, that would be interesting to hear too.

Personally I find helping people on here a bit wearisome to say the least. mellow.png At least NMEA is very helpful with diesel heater problems so I don't mind him tooo much. biggrin.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I'm buying a Dutch barge and will be moving to Europe, hopefully within a year. I detest what this country has become. Aside from the complete and total corruption of our political system, I'm a pacifist and cannot in good conscious support a government that invades other nations and kills hundreds of thousands of people simply to ensure obscene corporate profits and war profiteering.

Purveyors of useful plumbing stuff: http://www.bes.co.uk/

Regarding soldered copper, when I bought my boat the entire water system was soldered copper. Where I have changed of extended it I have used Hep2O, but the soldered stuff has been fine for nearly 20 years!

ETA: have to drain down as soon as it looks a it chilly, though....

Edited by AndrewIC

I'm buying a Dutch barge and will be moving to Europe, hopefully within a year. I detest what this country has become. Aside from the complete and total corruption of our political system, I'm a pacifist and cannot in good conscious support a government that invades other nations and kills hundreds of thousands of people simply to ensure obscene corporate profits and war profiteering.

OK, good luck with getting the barge together. smile.png

On my own boat I've replumbed it with mostly PEX plastic pipe and Tectite Classic push fit fittings, with a minority of copper pipe and solder ring, compression fittings. Basically use a mixture of things to their best advantages.

The majority of plumbing problems on this forum do seem to be related to the dreaded water pump! mad.gif

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

thank you for all the above advice,very useful. My question is, can you fit the filler point to a bow mounted water tank in the vertical wall of the cabin and lead a flexible pipe down to the lid of the plastic tank i am fitting under the foredeck? it occurs to me it would eliminate the contamination potential of a deck mounted filler, but does it contravene some BSS Rule. my fitout is a 58ft narrow boat where the original bows integral tank has been removed and the hatch welded in, so have fitted a rigid polypropylene tank under the deck. thanks.

PS I am still looking for a Lister Control Panel Wiring diagram see other post

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=70968

Thanks

Richard

Provided you have a decent "fall" from the filler to the tank then there is no reason it wouldn't work. I can't see why the BSS would have any bearing on the water filling point other than marking and proximity to pump out or fuel fittings.

Hi all,

thank you for all the above advice,very useful. My question is, can you fit the filler point to a bow mounted water tank in the vertical wall of the cabin and lead a flexible pipe down to the lid of the plastic tank i am fitting under the foredeck? it occurs to me it would eliminate the contamination potential of a deck mounted filler, but does it contravene some BSS Rule. my fitout is a 58ft narrow boat where the original bows integral tank has been removed and the hatch welded in, so have fitted a rigid polypropylene tank under the deck. thanks.

PS I am still looking for a Lister Control Panel Wiring diagram see other post

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=70968

Thanks

Richard

Not a BSS item, do what works for you, but remember you have to get the water into it.