Gas Locker Vent Query

Featured Posts

Done a quick search but can't find anything quite relevant.

I want to move the gas bottles to the rear of my semitrad, where a suitable steel locker is already in place.

Question 1. Is a wooden top still acceptable on top of steel gas locker (was on my old boat but that was 12 years ago.)

Question 2. Will the drain hole be OK as per photo below (yellow circle)? This is the lowest point on the side deck, with it rising to the bow and stern.

Any other advice/suggestions welcome.

Many thanks.

DSCF0295-Copy.jpg

1, yes that is acceptable.

2. yes. unless it is above the exhaust outlet.

3, it appears you need a good signwriter...

I'm gutted, thought I'd done a nice job of it ;)

Thanks everyone for replies. Looks like I have another job on the "to do" list.

Ours is exactly the way you are proposing. It's the 'Direct Opening' diagram in TDH's post. The wooden lid is also the base of the seat on that side of our semi-trad layout.

Ken

Great, sounds identical, thanks.

The vent would be about 3 feet or so away from the exhaust but on the same side. Is that far enough away?

Great, sounds identical, thanks.

The vent would be about 3 feet or so away from the exhaust but on the same side. Is that far enough away?

I don't know what the BSS requirements are but both our engine exhaust and Hurricane heating exhaust are in the same area and look to be about 2 feet away from the gas locker vent.

So it would seem you are OK with what you are proposing.

Ken

Slightly off topic, but I've been thinking about this:

As that's okay for a Semi Trad, what happens if you were to put a fixed roof over the top? That would effectively be a trad stern with a gas locker in the engine room. I'm guessing that's not allowed (especially with the wooden locker lid not being gas tight).

Would it be different if the locker was fully sealed and welded (and vented as above), with doors to the outside?