Securing deck boards over cruiser stern

stuart

Featured Posts

The panal in our stern deck is not locked down at all, its about only about 400*600mm, and below it is only old tins of paint and a can of fuel. and also we do have a load of stuff on the stern deck its self, some turps/steam oil/boiler treatment and few other bits - But nothing worth robbing really.

- But if we had an engine under, i would lock it, yes.

daniel

Just wondering what the general thoughts are over securing deck boards over the engine on a cruiser stern. 

Does anyone lock these down (to stop things being tampered with or pinched) and if so how?

I have neither my deck boards nor my gas locker secured but although the vandals have on one occasion levered off the hasps to gain access to the cabins they have never attempted access to these areas. (Semi) professional thieves are looking for valuables (camera, PC etc.) we are mostly concerned with vandals whose logic escapes me completely. It seems they pinch things to play with; not to keep or sell.

My new, painted 18mm ply deck boards have warped upwards, rather defeating the new seals I used on the self-draining channels to reduce sound levels. I am considering fixing them down. I cannot easily incorporate a lock but if you consider that the need for a screwdriver would not deter your vandals you could devise or purchase a vandal-proof head needing a special tool.

Cross Section

Jon may sort out this image but basically it consists of a coach-bolt and washer screwed into a captive nut welded to the bottom of the channel.

Alan