Destination Brentford

mark99

Featured Posts

What is the furthest <sensible> place to wind at Brentford (any maybe moor for an overnighter).

We fancy a trip up to Brentford without being flushed down the Thames. Whilst we don't have an ambition of see-ing every last inch of Brentord - looking at Google maps the waterways are complex round there.

NB Is there generally space somewhere near the Fox (Hanwell) to moor overnight?

It's easy to turn just above Brentford Gauging lock (lock 100 - see photo here) and then moor on the visitor moorings, towards the top left of that photo (on the west side).

You can then walk alongside the River Brent down to Thames lock (the last one down to the tidal Thames - centre right on the photo) and explore. [NB there is no continuous towpath but you can get through on paths by or near the river]. I have turned just above Thames lock (56 foot) but it was not particularly easy, and I would not recommend it.

NB the section between the 2 locks is semi-tidal so if you do go down that bit check the height gauge on the Brentford High St road bridge!

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

don't you just love Google Streetview - shows everything I need to see at the visitor moorings.

... just as long as you are not tempted to stay at home and do the whole trip via Google.

In addition to the Fox, other local attractions include a steam museum, Kew Gardens, and Syon House.