Mooring Saturday night in Salford Quays / Castlefield? Cruising River Irwell?

Odana

Featured Posts

We are on the Weaver at the moment and planning to do the rest of the Ship Canal next weekend. Whether we go Marsh Lock to Manchester, or up the Bridgewater then Salford back down to Marsh Lock, our timings mean we will end up in Manchester on a weekend night.

I've moored in Castlefields before, so would like to do summat different and stay in Salford overnight if possible. This thread http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=54830 shows one mooring spot which is helpful - anyone know what Salford Quay is like on a Saturday night? Eastham control mentioned having to stay on the boat as no secure moorings, but that doesn't tally with other info. All advice gratefully received!

I also understand you can explore up some of the river Irwell, but can't seem to find much more info. To help with timings, how much time to I need to allow for a good explore? Can I come up from Marsh Lock on the Weaver, have time for a good rummage around interesting new bits of urban water, and then overnight in Salford or even then go up Pomona Lock same day? Is the Weaver-Manchester bit tide dependent for shipping, or is that only downstream?

Finally, as we haven't got VHF, anyone local who does have a licence and a portable set who wants a jolly on the Ship Canal next weekend (day yet to be decided), feel free to PM me. Those stationary ships we saw en route from Ellesmere Port were HUGE - and it would be nice to be able to communicate with any that are moving near us...

I've never done it, but I would have thought the quays was a safe place to moor for the night, it's certainly a safe place to walk around, shop and have a drink. With media city and the BBC and things being based there they do seem to have a fair number of "security" people around.

As for the Irwell there's a link to the tour below, don't whatever you do fall in itsmile.png

K

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/manchester/m70.htm

Yes very safe to moor there for a day/few days. Ive always stopped on the jetty in front of the quays themselves. I do believe that there are alternative moorings somewhere but have never used them.

Leaving Salford Quays and going under Trafford Bridge puts you on the Irwell. You can either stop over night in Dock 3 (by Pomona Lock) or further down at the Mark Addy. Theres nothing but a place to tie in Dock 3 and I can't comment on the Mark Addy moorings.

Your best bet is definitely the Quays. Its a nice pleasant tie up with somebody patrolling the area who offers further local info and help.

Jetty mooring at the 'factory girls'statue . Very quiet when we stayed there last spring . Tucked out of the way after the Salford bridges past the lowry on the left and the imperial war museum on the right . Past the docks on the left. Before you start the river Irwell .Get the binoculars out and you will see the floating pontoons at about 11oclock with some housing and a few trees and a small statue , that represents a tribute to the factory girls of ww2. We left the boats while we had a look around and went For a meal. Bunny.

http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/uploads/File/scan%20copy%20Upper%20Reach%20Booklet%202009%281%29.pdf should help you out, loads of useful info. We were planning to do this last year but stoppages meant we had to take 2x detours around Birmingham so never made it onto the Irwell, but its definitely on our list of "things to do". Maybe we'll try incorporate it into doing the whole of the MSC too, including the run down from Ellesmere Port to Eastham, over the Mersey and onto the L&L. One day.....

Thanks all.

Latest update from discussions with Peel Holdings is that we can't do Pomona Lock on a Sunday, only on a Saturday morning. So being able to loiter in Salford awhile is a relief.