Intermittent Fridge problems.

canals are us?

Featured Posts

I have an inlander 12 volt fridge with small freezer compartment which must be 12-15 years old and went away for 5 days and got back today to find it had defrosted and the fridge warm.

It was making a slight hum noise but no light flashing, so I switched it off and turned it back on and it seems to be working/ cooling as the compressor was running. It did the same last week, but I put it down to the fact it needed defrosting. It's annoying as the contents are ruined.

I'm Marina based with shore power and charger so not a charging issue.

Any ideas, or just buy another, although not buying a new 12 volt unit unless used, or a new 240 volt fridge.

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

Our Shoreline occasionally has a hissy fit and cuts out, but it does usually show a flashing red light too. It has never been an obvious low battery issue, usually it has been quite the opposite, when we've done a really long days boating or had a very sunny day with exceptional solar power.

As we live aboard we've always spotted it before food has suffered. The cure has always been just to switch off the supply circuit briefly at the distribution panel. The fridge then resets and runs normally.

I've never been able to work out why this occurs.

My lec 12v fudge compressor runs 24 7 unless the solar hasn't had enough energy through for the batteries to charge. After having a new thermostat. It still runs all the time. Maybe the thermostat is in the wrong position. I just can't work it out

My lec 12v fudge compressor runs 24 7 unless the solar hasn't had enough energy through for the batteries to charge. After having a new thermostat. It still runs all the time. Maybe the thermostat is in the wrong position. I just can't work it out

Does it get cold?

Bod

Our Shoreline occasionally has a hissy fit and cuts out, but it does usually show a flashing red light too. It has never been an obvious low battery issue, usually it has been quite the opposite, when we've done a really long days boating or had a very sunny day with exceptional solar power.

As we live aboard we've always spotted it before food has suffered. The cure has always been just to switch off the supply circuit briefly at the distribution panel. The fridge then resets and runs normally.

If it has a Danfoss compressor, the number or flashes should correspond to a fault code given in the data sheet, linky:

http://www.novakool.com/support/documents/R134a_12-24V_DC_11-01_Cn46c702.pdf

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

A fudge compressor sounds intriguing!

:)

MtB

Again, if it's a model with a Danfoss compressor, the data sheet for the compressor (BD50F or something) should tell which connections on the control module go to the thermostat, you could try disconnecting it and see if it stops.

ETA Linky; looks like pins C and T go to thermostat:

http://www.novakool.com/support/documents/R134a_12-24V_DC_11-01_Cn46c702.pdf

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Yes it gets cold but it seems to just never settles. I don't know if any one could look at something like that or if it'll end up costing hundreds

Cool or cold? Can you make ice cubes?

Check the ventilation around the fridge, the back (fins area) may not be cool enough, for heat transfer.

Bod

Hi, thanks.

Sounds like they can be temperamental! Mine so far has been fine, but with the quick notice could be away so could come home to find defrosted/ ruined food. I'll see how it goes!

James cheers.gif

Cool or cold? Can you make ice cubes?

Check the ventilation around the fridge, the back (fins area) may not be cool enough, for heat transfer.

Bod

That's a VERY good point. Try dragging the fridge out from under the worktop and run it in the middle of the galley for a couple of hours. If the compressor then turns ON and OFF as you'd expect, its a ventilation problem.

MtB

Just got around to reading your replies. We'll done for assuming fudge is fridge mike:) Yes ice cubes can be made in the small freezer compartment, but it's rare for food in the fridge compartment to freeze. I'll get it unscrewed from the floor and pulled out tomorrow and have a play.... Actually I'm going to do that tonight when I get in from work. Tmi sorry