Weaver Sailing Flat Daresbury.

nebulae

Featured Posts

Many years ago,I bought a decorative plate which was sold to fund work on the last Weaver sailing flat,the Daresbury. The sale of the plate was under the auspice of the boat museum .I think she was lying sunk at Sutton Lock on the Weaver,at the time .Does anybody know what happened to her in the end .I seem to remember she had survived from the late eighteenth century,because she had been in the Weaver Trustees maintenance fleet

Still at Sutton Level Lock, to the best of my knowledge.

The lock area is completely overgrown now with sedges and other greenery, you would struggle to find anything unless equipped for jungle exploration.

Tim

I've got one of those plates too.

I must admit that it appeals to my sense of the absurd to have a plate commemorating something that never happened (the raising of the Daresbury), rather like Edward VIII Coronation mugs.

I can confirm that the remains are still there along with other flats and narrowboat, all I suspect now beyond salvage. For many year the small ricky motor Oberon had it stern pointing up at an angle obviously broken in two by another boat on top of it, a sad place and very sad to see.

There is an article about Daresbury in Waterways Journal, Vol 3, 2001 by Edward Paget-Tomlinson. I took a series of photos between 1975 and 1987 which chronicle the slow deterioration of the hull.

Many thanks for answers to my enquiry .I did go past the site some years ago,when the remains were still visible .Were all the boats there wooden craft? .I have a picture in my mind of at least one steel boat .Would that have been the Oberon? I see that the outline of some of the boats can still be made out on Google Earth.

Many thanks for answers to my enquiry .I did go past the site some years ago,when the remains were still visible .Were all the boats there wooden craft? .I have a picture in my mind of at least one steel boat .Would that have been the Oberon? I see that the outline of some of the boats can still be made out on Google Earth.

I don't think any steel or iron boats were in the site. "Oberon" was a small Ricky wooden motor.