Huddersfield Narrow Mooring - Marsden

nine9feet

Featured Posts

Can anyone tell me what mooring is available between Slaithwaite and the tunnel portal at Marsden, where a boat can remain for more than 48 hours? Mooring points seem few and far between on this canal!

Thanks.

I know you can moor overnight here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.6103317,-1.9127049,357m/data=!3m1!1e3

which is just at the bottom of the Marsden flight, I don't think there is anywhere else

as for how long you can stay i am not sure, I am sure others will be along soon who can answer that.

NickF

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I have been told by a passing boater (the only one today ohmy.png ) that there are moorings immediately above the top lock 42E but he did not know if there was any time limit less than 14 days.

Cheers

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I have been told by a passing boater (the only one today ohmy.png ) that there are moorings immediately above the top lock 42E but he did not know if there was any time limit less than 14 days.

Cheers

I believe above the top lock is now 24 or possibly 48 hours, although there are no signs to say so. This from the Standedge Tunnel booking guide.

I know you can moor overnight here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.6103317,-1.9127049,357m/data=!3m1!1e3

which is just at the bottom of the Marsden flight, I don't think there is anywhere else

as for how long you can stay i am not sure, I am sure others will be along soon who can answer that.

NickF

But quite shallow there! Need to get the plank out.

We were told quite emphatically that mooring in the pound between the top lock and tunnel mouth was strictly overnight only. A pity as Marsden has some very nice pubs.

We were told quite emphatically that mooring in the pound between the top lock and tunnel mouth was strictly overnight only. A pity as Marsden has some very nice pubs.

In the end I moored just above the top lock (42E). Two other boats moored there. I left the boat for four nights while off visiting friends. Didn't seem to be a problem and as Mac said there are no signs.

Whilst moored another boater walking the towpath to the tunnel began talking to me. His boat was moored at the tunnel mouth on the off side and would be there for two days until his booked passage time.

I moved up to the tunnel the night before my booked passage. It turned out I was the only boat going through from Marsden to Diggle.

I was once stuck at Tunnel End offside for 3 days (and glad to be so, for the reason you describe, except that I would say Marsden has one very good pub) when someone left a paddle open and the summit pound went down by a foot.

BTW, you can now moor unrestricted at the other end of the tunnel. There are two pubs at Diggle, he Diggle Hotel and the Hanging Gate. Both OK, but not as good as the Riverside Tap at Marsden (or the Navigation down at Dobcross, for that matter).

• 4 weeks later...

I love this site... We've just pulled into Huddersfield this evening and I'm sitting here trying to work out how long it'll take us and where to moor en-route to the tunnel entrance based on my average 10 locks per day. Quick search on here and I find the answer to my mooring question yet again. cheers.gif So now I can work out when we'll be going through the tunnel in order to allow for the 3 days notice - Looks like Monday then! cool.png

cheers.gif So now I can work out when we'll be going through the tunnel in order to allow for the 3 days notice - Looks like Monday then! cool.png

It's not a question of 3 days notice. It's when they have slots available. Unless you have a booking, don't count on getting through on Monday. I've got through 24 hours from booking, but on other occasions had to wait a week.

Mac of Cygnet, massive thanks and we owe you a large glass of vino for the recommendation of mooring above lock 31E... The mooring is to die for. We've got a tunnel passage booked for Wednesday but we're seriously considering putting it back to Friday to stay at least a couple of nights here!!!

Edited by DillyDally