Window protectors

Emerald Fox

Featured Posts

Hi all!

Window protectors, thinnish sheets of aluminium for protecting the windows of a boat, eg. for when a boat is parked in an area where people may like to throw stones across the canal.

Are these of any use? Where does one store them? Does it matter if you leave them off for a month or two whilst boat is moored?

What are advantages/disadvantages?

Any links to old threads about this?

Cheers, Emerald Fox :)

Hi ya,

Yep, I've got 5mm ish Acrylic or Polycarbinate sheet clear window covers, that fixes Externally over my windows as 'Storm Boards' whilst out n about, They are also Very Tough, could probably take the impact of a stone, (or Lump Hammer !) , but would rather not put it to the test, They also have the advantage of, in winter they seam to make the boat warmer,They let light in, & you can see out of them !.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2
  • Greenie 1

Hi all!

Window protectors, thinnish sheets of aluminium for protecting the windows of a boat, eg. for when a boat is parked in an area where people may like to throw stones across the canal.

Are these of any use? Where does one store them? Does it matter if you leave them off for a month or two whilst boat is moored?

What are advantages/disadvantages?

Any links to old threads about this?

Cheers, Emerald Fox smile.png

Best to avoid any area's like that.

Hi ya,

Yep, I've got 5mm ish Acrylic or Polycarbinate sheet clear window covers, that fixes Externally over my windows as 'Storm Boards' whilst out n about, They are also Very Tough, could probably take the impact of a stone, (or Lump Hammer !) , but would rather not put it to the test, They also have the advantage of, in winter they seam to make the boat warmer,They let light in, & you can see out of them !.

How are they fixed? Please thank you ever so muchly and where did you get them from?

Mine are made from Polycarbonate Sheet. That I got from a Plastics company on the Medway city estate in Kent. But if you do a search for Polycarbonate Sheet, you should get some hits. Make some Paper templates, & either Send it off by post, and let them cut it to shape for you, OR You can cut it to shape using a Jig Saw and or an Angle Grinder yourself. You can then Drill and Fix suitable Stainless Steel fixings to both Boat & Polycarbonate much like a Cratch cover fixings to make them removeable, OR indeed Stick them in place for A more permanent and secure option. But probably only an option if you have air conditioning.

Just choose the fixing method that suit your

Needs.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Some areas, if moored long term, might need them. But I must we have weekended the boat over the whole system (and I mean, all of all major canals, and most of the rest) moving it every fortnight leaving it for 12 days at a time, and never had any broken glass on return.

Daniel