Suitcase generator security

Wanted

Featured Posts

There is enough fixed deck around the boards to bolt down without worry. I too favor Bizzes idea.

I guess the reason why I want a gene is because of winter really. I often wonder what long term damage Is done with an engine running idle. Glazed bores etc.

Cheers all, lots to ponder

None with a modern engine.

MtB

(Ready to duck incoming)

This is what I did. The generator is chained through the handles to the steel bench supports behind. It's not impregnable but I think it's a reasonable deterrent. Once the cage is painted it should look like steel.

CAM00109_zpse0f062f7.jpg

Bolting a suitcase generator to the deck isn't a bad idea as long as the position that the generator is to be run is safe - and on most narrowboats it probably isn't when petrol fumes from refuelling are taken into account. If it's run on gas perhaps it's ok. If it's petrol you also have to think about removing the generator at inspection time.

Edited by blackrose

That's a very fine generator case you've made there Mike.

Not sure I actually said that last time you posted pics of it.

MtB

Thanks Mike. It took a lot of thinking about to make it fit into the space while still allowing the generator to be removed for servicing. It seems to work very well. The generator stays dry even in the worst downpours and it doesn't overheat because it's still effectively out in the open air. The worst thing you can do with air cooled generators is box them in. The only thing I didn't account for were the damn spiders setting up their homes all over it. Still, it's easy enough to give it a quick brush over before use.

If I knew how to weld I'd have probably made it from steel - but I don't so I bolted it together out of aluminium with short stainless dome-headed coach bolts and security nuts. The basic design is good if anyone wants to copy it. My generator isn't really a suitcase, it's a Honda EU30i, but the same thing could be done with a smaller generator.

Edited by blackrose