Max stay @ Newark Visitor Moorings?

frangar

Featured Posts

Hi peeps

Does anyone know how long you can stay on the visitor moorings in Newark?....either bankside or on the pontoon?....I've searched the web but I'm either being dense...which is quite possible or the new CRT info pages are terrible compared to the old waterscape guides...I've also heard a rumour that the pontoon has a hook up which might be nice if we can stop for a few days to wander round Newark.

Any info welcome.....

PS we are loving the Trent....it's amazingly quiet for boats though....we are moored at Gunthorpe at the mo with only two other boats on the visitors jetty...and only a couple of boats have been past all day.

Cheers

Gareth

Fairly sure its 48 hours on the pontoon outside the C&RT offices, but there has been a boat there for some weeks - ask them.

Has the gate at Town Lock been fixed ?

We were told on Wednesday (when we were at Gunthorpe) it was stuck. We did have to use a rope and some big bodies to close it a few weeks ago when it was stuck in the open position, but then it seemed to work OK again.

Moor up just in front of the 'Barge Pub' for a couple of days. Walk up into town, turn left, 400 yards to the 'Malt Shovel' pub (meals £2.25 and lager £2.20, bitter £2.20)

Moor up on the C&RT pontoon and walk across the footbridge - Aldi on your right hand side. Walk thru' Aldi carpark and turn right - 100 yards on the right "The Malt Shovel" pub (meals £2.25 - Steak and the trimmings £4.00)

Did I mention the Malt Shovel ?

Bodrum Pizza & Kebabs (excellent - possibly the best Pizzas I've had) will deliver to your boat free of charge.

Telephone 01636 612 five five five

Wow!...that was quick and very handy!

I think the gate has been fixed....sure I had an email saying it was...

Think will see what the weathers like tomorrow then decide if I'm going to move on....I really want the old waterscape guides back...at least you knew what was where!

I should have rung CRT but thought I was just being dense not finding the info on the website...I will ask the lockie here at Gunthorpe tomorrow morning to see if they know.

I might have to test the Malt Shovel then.....and I'm rather fond of a good pizza!

Thanks Alan

cheers

Gareth

Gunthorpe - Newark 3 hours or less.

With the flow on the Trent we had yesterday (Holme lock) I reckon you'll do it in 2.5 hours at your normal 4 mph revs.

In case you need it Diesel and pump-out at Kings Marina (200 yds past the C&RT pontoon).

Newark to Cromwell lock - an hour or less (depends on how quickly Jelunga gets you thru' Nether lock (a can of beer tends to speed things up a bit)

Fairly sure its 48 hours on the pontoon outside the C&RT offices, but there has been a boat there for some weeks - ask them.

We were told on Wednesday (when we were at Gunthorpe) it was stuck. We did have to use a rope and some big bodies to close it a few weeks ago when it was stuck in the open position, but then it seemed to work OK again.

Moor up just in front of the 'Barge Pub' for a couple of days. Walk up into town, turn left, 400 yards to the 'Malt Shovel' pub (meals £2.25 and lager £2.20, bitter £2.20)

Moor up on the C&RT pontoon and walk across the footbridge - Aldi on your right hand side. Walk thru' Aldi carpark and turn right - 100 yards on the right "The Malt Shovel" pub (meals £2.25 - Steak and the trimmings £4.00)

Bodrum Pizza & Kebabs (excellent - possibly the best Pizzas I've had) will deliver to your boat free of charge.

New gate ram fitted to Town Lock now fully operational.

And don't forget the Malt Shovel. I think Camra members get a discount

With the flow on the Trent we had yesterday (Holme lock) I reckon you'll do it in 2.5 hours at your normal 4 mph revs.

In case you need it Diesel and pump-out at Kings Marina (200 yds past the C&RT pontoon).

Newark to Cromwell lock - an hour or less (depends on how quickly Jelunga gets you thru' Nether lock (a can of beer tends to speed things up a bit)

Quite right. It helps lubricate the gates the mechanisms of which I grease and lub to prevent failures!

Did I mention the Malt Shovel?

We must have passed each other yesterday..spent most of the day moored at Holme till we moved up to Stoke Lock.

The flow has been quite handy....think the GPS said 7mph at one point...and not at high revs!

I'm deffo going to try the Malt Shovel if I can get a CAMRA discount!!

The pontoon mooring is 48 hours.

The wall opposite the castle is 14 days as far as I'm aware. We tend to moor on the wall as it's a bit more scenic and closer to the pubs.

The scrap yard opposite the pontoon moorings can be a but noisy as well.

We must have passed each other yesterday..spent most of the day moored at Holme till we moved up to Stoke Lock.

The flow has been quite handy....think the GPS said 7mph at one point...and not at high revs!

I'm deffo going to try the Malt Shovel if I can get a CAMRA discount!!

We spent Wednesday night moored at the top of Holme lock, and left about 10:30 Thursday morning heading to Nottingham

Thanks for that Naughty Cal....I think we might risk the storms and try for the wall tonight then maybe move onto the pontoon once we see what's occurring....hoping to stay till midweek before going on the tidal stretch.

I take it that's it as a safe as anywhere tied to the wall on a Sat night or should I do the pontoon first then move to the wall for the last few nights?

Cheers

Gareth

We spent Wednesday night moored at the top of Holme lock, and left about 10:30 Thursday morning heading to Nottingham

Blimey...were you the light blue boat with the round ports on the front bulkhead?

We were moored on the end on the lower part of the wall. Think I waved as you left but I wave lots!

Cheers

Gareth

The wall upstream of the bridge is quiet (high wall), but if you go downstream of the bridge and moor by the 'Floating Barge Pub' (low wall) and the Pizza place (not the good Pizza place) Its also one of the main pay & display car parks for the town. I imagine Saturday night can be a bit noisy.

Mind you - if the weather forecast is correct no one will be out and about tonight

We have never had any problems on the high wall opposite the castle but make sure you tie off on the boat.

With today's weather it will be quiet!

Dont forget your deck / gunwhales are about the roof height on a narrowboat - I would think your front deck is above the wall height ?

Dont forget your deck / gunwhales are about the roof height on a narrowboat - I would think your front deck is above the wall height ?

Not usually. We normally still have to step down into the roof. Although the river may well be up at bit at the minute so I wouldn't anticipate a problem getting on and off!

We are tucked up opposite the castle...the pontoon was full but at least two boats from it have just gone past!! Just as we finished tying up!! We will stay here tonight then move onto the pontoon tomorrow or Monday if there is space.

At the moment the roof is level with the top of the wall but we are sitting quite nicely on the rubber buffers. I have tied back to the boat in case the level changes!! We only got a bit soggy....

Many thanks to everyone for the advice.

Cheers

Gareth

Did I mention that the Malt Shovel is closed on Mondays

Sunday Lunch (excellent - choice of meats) at £4.50 but its an idea to book (this Sunday the last meals are 1:00pm as they have a large party in after that.

Tel : 01636 6584 three four

Did I mention ............ ?

Well the Malt shovel may have to wait...we have found a micro pub near the corn exchange called "Just Beer"...does what it says...well does real cider as well which is keeping the other half happy as well..still there are more days..

Cheers

Gareth

Well the Malt shovel may have to wait...we have found a micro pub near the corn exchange called "Just Beer"...does what it says...well does real cider as well which is keeping the other half happy as well..still there are more days..

Cheers

Gareth

Just Beer is an excellent little hostelry - I've always found the locals friendly too.

The Castle Pub also keeps some extremely good cask beers (and discount for CAMRA members too)

PS - Don't bother with The Moorings - bar/restaurant- - - over-rated and over-priced

Yep! Was always sort of part of plan but now looks to be a cert! My excuse is I'm waiting for tides at Cromwell......

It's deffo improved since the last time was working here which admittedly was a few years ago.

Cheers

Gareth