Cutting the flue - in situ.

Featured Posts

Good find! Just ordered one of these - looks the same/similar.

http://www.tradecounterdirect.com/product/gripper-plus-pipe-cutter-cuts_size.html?gclid=CIK6o7TB3r4CFfQbtAodKR0AIg

Just over £40 including postage. Not much more than the cost of hiring for a day from HSS.

Fingers crossed I'm not buying Cheap and buying Twice sad.png

Keep it well oiled, ideally with something like Temaxol or Rocol RTD cutting paste (the liquid is a bit runny for an up-in-the-air job) and the wheels will stay sharp longer.

N

Keep it well oiled, ideally with something like Temaxol or Rocol RTD cutting paste (the liquid is a bit runny for an up-in-the-air job) and the wheels will stay sharp longer.

N

Is there a compound I can buy in a shop like B&Q or similar?

I can buy online, but I'm a bit impatient :)

A decent engineering supplies will sell cutting compound. Also larger electrical wholesalers, as electricians use it when threading conduit. A large plumbers merchants is another possibility.

Good find! Just ordered one of these - looks the same/similar.

http://www.tradecounterdirect.com/product/gripper-plus-pipe-cutter-cuts_size.html?gclid=CIK6o7TB3r4CFfQbtAodKR0AIg

Just over £40 including postage. Not much more than the cost of hiring for a day from HSS.

Fingers crossed I'm not buying Cheap and buying Twice sad.png

Arrived today and looks the part. It's got "Grip-On 186-12" stamped on it, and a quick google shows it for sale on US eBay for over $100.

When I get some cutting compound, I'll give it a go.

• 1 month later...

Bought a tin of Rocol RTD and got cracking. Took a while and lots of forwards and backwards but simple to cut about 90% of the way round, then the last bit kind of cracked off. Not sure if that makes sense, but it worked.

0cc0b4912bdcf6b84cdae4e14da8dac5.jpg

5bc9dc949e5bb9c71ef19a6ccfdb261f.jpg

97841912c8b625bf88ab2cb29f3f8dc1.jpg

Cut 5cm off the new flue today - equally straightforward.