Oily water

DannyB

Featured Posts

Apologies for such a basic question. have tried searching but couldnt find an answer other than dispose of responsibly. So what do you do with oily bilge water? Can you tip it down into the sewers?

I've just got a bucket out of the engine bilge and i reckon theres another 3 or 4 buckets worth in there, and I've only got 1 bucket!

You need to dispose of it responsibly (although often easier said than done).

Either use something to absorb the oily water and then bag it and take it to the tip (cheap nappies or kitty litter works), or put it into containers and take it to the tip as most will accept oil.

Apologies for such a basic question. have tried searching but couldnt find an answer other than dispose of responsibly. So what do you do with oily bilge water? Can you tip it down into the sewers?

I've just got a bucket out of the engine bilge and i reckon theres another 3 or 4 buckets worth in there, and I've only got 1 bucket!

Put it in a drum with a bottom tap.

Leave for at least a week.

Open tap and clean water will flow out.

When oil appears quickly close tap.

You now have a lot less of a problem!

George ex nb Alton retired

You need to dispose of it responsibly (although often easier said than done).

Either use something to absorb the oily water and then bag it and take it to the tip (cheap nappies or kitty litter works), or put it into containers and take it to the tip as most will accept oil.

This is what I did when I had an oil spill in the engine tray, mixed with the water we'd collected from leaky lock gates, ASDA or ALDI are a good source of cheap nappies.

The thing is when I took them to the tip the guy just told me to deposit them in the general rubbish skip. But better than going in the cut or the drain reckon.

Thanks Kae, furnessvale and the dog house, cheap nappies and black bags it is then for now and I'll keep a look out for some kind of drum for storing it in the future.

Are bilge socks or absorbent mats worth getting?