Llangollen Trip

caspar

Featured Posts

Not sure this applies to you... but I thought I'd bring it to your attention anyway.

From the Waterscape.com website...

Opening Times: Christmas opening times

Frankton Locks at the junction of the Llangollen and Montgomery Canals are open daily between 12 noon and 2.30pm until Friday 22 December. The lock will be closed between Saturday 23 and Tuesday 26 December inclusive. Bookings for Wednesday 27, Thursday 28, Friday 29 and Saturday 30 December must be made by 4.30pm on Friday 22 December.

Frankton Locks will be closed New Year’s Eve 2006 and New Year’s Day 2007. To guarantee your passage, please give 48 hours notice. (Enquiries: 01606 723800)

Edited by Liam

We're having a five/six day trip on the Llangollen between Christmas and New Year. We'll hopefully get as far as Ellesmere before turning back. Can anyone recommend any good pubs for both food and drink in Whitchurch and Ellesmere?

The current (January) edition of Canal Boat has a Llangollen crusing guide, which includes a list of the pubs etc along the route. Might be worth getting a copy.

We're having a five/six day trip on the Llangollen between Christmas and New Year. We'll hopefully get as far as Ellesmere before turning back. Can anyone recommend any good pubs for both food and drink in Whitchurch and Ellesmere?

Sure ive seen casper on Festival Park am I right?

Enjoy your trip and enjoy the pubs even more. :rolleyes:

Can anyone recommend any good pubs for both food and drink in Whitchurch and Ellesmere?

This page might be useful:

http://www.canalcruisingguide.co.uk/llangollen.htm

In particular check the Waggoners Inn, it's very popular in the summer and you would need to book, don't know if they still serve food in the winter though so you'll be best to call them. It's the last place to eat until Ellesmere if heading towards Llangollen.

Note: Whixall Marine at the end of the Prees branch is closed over the Christmas period.

Ric.

Sorry all, I've not been very explicit have I?

We are moored at the new Swanley Bridge marina, just a couple of miles up from Hurleston on the Llangollen (Badger1, we were at Festival Park for a while last summer while we were waiting for Swanley Bridge to open). We know both pubs in Wrenbury well, but none very much further along the canal. All being well we plan to spend two nights at Whitchurch (one out and one back) and one night in Ellesmere. In addition we will have a couple of niights out in the sticks somewhere nice and quiet.

Thanks Ricardo, we'll check out The Waggoners.

Strangely enough, I've just bought the Canal Boat mag today, but not had a chance to have a look yet.

Thanks

We walked around Whitchurch last Easter, but did not eat. Remember that there is a lengthy walk from the moorings into twon - it struck me as long and boring through a woody area or through a housing estate. Nowhere struck us as particularly tempting for food.

We've never tried the pubs in Ellesmere (we have this preference for pubs by the towpath where possible) and so stick to the Chinese carryout which has always been very palatable. As soon as you can go to the chippy's in Llangollen, east along Berwyn Street, where they do an excellent mushy pea fritter!

Hope to see you at Swanley some time - we've just bought a boat and have moorings there.

Dave

Being moored locally can recomend Ellesmere, very small town, few pubs - Black Lion, good basic food. White Hart, good beer, Indian next door very good. There are a few little shops, spar and a nice deli with bread shop. The cruise through the lakes is very picturesque.

Whitchurch I agree is a long walk to town, but did find a nice pub in the centre for lunch. Wagoners definately worth a visit, excellent food. Our favorite in Wrenbury is definately the Dusty, food is a bit more posh that the Cotton Arms. If you have time to get down the Montgomery the Queens Head is worth a visit but bear in mind you may want to turn at the winding hole there, as there isn't another for some distance.

Hope you enjoy your trip

Being moored locally can recomend Ellesmere, very small town, few pubs - Black Lion, good basic food. White Hart, good beer, Indian next door very good. There are a few little shops, spar and a nice deli with bread shop. The cruise through the lakes is very picturesque.

Whitchurch I agree is a long walk to town, but did find a nice pub in the centre for lunch. Wagoners definately worth a visit, excellent food. Our favorite in Wrenbury is definately the Dusty, food is a bit more posh that the Cotton Arms. If you have time to get down the Montgomery the Queens Head is worth a visit but bear in mind you may want to turn at the winding hole there, as there isn't another for some distance.

Hope you enjoy your trip

- Black Lion, good basic food.

Good basic food, how dare you sir? The Black Lion serves the very best steak pie in the world and probably the best steak pie in the universe. Huge in size and big on taste. We always call at the Black Lion for a pie, but try and moor near the end of the arm as walking very far with one of there pies inside you is nigh on impossible and certainly uncomfortable for anything more than a few yards. They were recommended to me by a guy at one of the locks, he spoke in such glowing terms of the magnificence of these pies that we were obliged to try them for ourselves and he was so very right. :rolleyes:

Good basic food, how dare you sir? The Black Lion serves the very best steak pie in the world and probably the best steak pie in the universe. Huge in size and big on taste. We always call at the Black Lion for a pie, but try and moor near the end of the arm as walking very far with one of there pies inside you is nigh on impossible and certainly uncomfortable for anything more than a few yards. They were recommended to me by a guy at one of the locks, he spoke in such glowing terms of the magnificence of these pies that we were obliged to try them for ourselves and he was so very right. :rolleyes:

Sorry I forgot about the 'very best steak pie'(I agree), we have never had one in the Black Lion, because I think it is the one made by the very friendly butcher in the same street. We always call in for one to cook on board the next night, he makes them there in the shop.