Routing of gas pipe

Featured Posts

I am in the middle of refitting my cruiser after it sank a while back. At the moment there will be no gas appliances, I just want to get it running and usable for now, but would like to future proof where possible.

The layout is a front and rear cabin, with the controls and engine in the centre. There is a gas locker at the back end, with a lift up top for access from outside. The pipe previously ran through the rear cabin under the built in bench seats, through the engine bay at the back of the diesel tank, and into the kitchen area.

This pipe has now been removed, and so have the bench seats. I have built a wooden frame either side of the rear cabin, with the space under the gunwales filled with insulation and ducts for future use. This space would be the only sensible place to run a gas pipe, but as it will be finished with tongue and groove panelling it will mean the pipe will not be readily accessible. The only place I could run it where it would be accessible would be in a surface mounted trunking low down, or under the floor, which I believe are both frowned upon. I am fairly happy to screw the tongue and groove in rather than nailing it, and remove it for each BSS examination, but I'm not sure that's acceptable either. The total run of pipe that won't be accessible will be 1700mm, and will feed a gas hob/grill only.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this one? If need be, we will have to go without gas and find another method of cooking.

The BSS requires the pipe to be readily accessible. Putting the pipe high up means that any leaks become obvious before they become an issue. Talk to your BSS inspector or the BSS for advice before you implement anything.

If it only has to be accessible for BSS purposes, and not day to day use, then I don't mind taking the panelling down once every 4 years and will make it easier for myself when building it. I wasn't planning on making it totally inaccessible as sods law says the moment it's all together I'll decide to add something! If that's an acceptable way of having your pipework accessible though then I'm happy at that and that's another big problem sorted :-)

I haven't got a particular BSS examiner yet, I have only had it 4 years and it's been on an exemption for just under a year after the sinking...

The current checking procedures on the BSS website do not appear to require that all the pipe is "accessible for inspection" or "readily accessible" - check 7.8.1 for example includes "Check condition of all LPG pipes that can be seen or reached" (my italics), but the examiner has to be able to check that it is secure ("Apply light manual force to check security of LPG pipes that can be reached"). However all the joints (7.8.3) and any low pressure hoses (7.8.5) must be "accessible for inspection" and the guidance text for these items refers explicitly to adding inspection panels to achieve compliance with this requirement. You may also need to think about the means by which the pipe exits the gas locker, and make sure that is gas tight and can be inspected. The checks are all online here: http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/194782/2013ecp_private%20_boats_ed3_public_final.pdf, section 7 is all about gas.

As others have said, I would find yourself an examiner (sounds like you will need one soonish anyway?) and seek advice, or contact the BSS office who are usually very helpful. I would also apply Rule #1 of boat fitting which is (or should be!) "don't put anything important where you can't get at it later..."

There is a length of gas pipe on my boat behind the kitchen worktop that is not accessible, and my boat has passed three safety inspections. I am not suggesting this is right, or that anybody should do it, but have not been aware of any such accessibility rule. Sometimes the gas pipe needs to be run in a conduit to comply (through engine room IIRC.) Surely this would be inaccesible for inspection?

There is a length of gas pipe on my boat behind the kitchen worktop that is not accessible, and my boat has passed three safety inspections. I am not suggesting this is right, or that anybody should do it, but have not been aware of any such accessibility rule. Sometimes the gas pipe needs to be run in a conduit to comply (through engine room IIRC.) Surely this would be inaccesible for inspection?

My boat is much the same, with gas piping you can't see in my kitchen and also passed 4 inspections. But I do believe it has to be fixed with the appropriate fittings at 10 inch intervals I seem to remember but would also check that with an examiner

It depends which set of regulations you want to meet. The BSS does not demand accessibility of every inch of gas pipe. PD5482-2005 Part III does (IIRC).

A new boat has to be built to PD5482-2005 Part III (to get it's RCD stifficate).

A used boat is only ever tested on an on-going basis to the (generally slacker) BSS requirements.

Hence the ever present confusion about what is, and isn't 'compliant'.

MtB

Opinion and in my experience:-

Examiners are more concerned about any joints in the pipe run and how the pipe runs through bulkheads. If he can see that a sample of the run is well supported, he may be satisfied.

That said both examiners I have used were experienced 'marine surveyors' who knew boats, their design and industry practice, rather than somebody who has experience of the BSS only.