Whats going on at the Basingstoke

Basyfart

Featured Posts

The Basingstoke Canal managment must be the most high handed and unfriendly managment on the waterways.Unpowered craft licences have gon up from £21:70 to £50 p.a. this is to bring into line with other waterway , however the River Wey is only £30 pa. The state of the locks and passage times are horrendous and dredging is very badly needed.
Rumour has it that the hire boat operation at the canal center has been forced to pull out because of astronomical price increases from Surrey County Council , an increase of 350% just before they were due to open . Their 72ft 47 seat function boat, 2 self drive day hire boats and disabled access boats have all been withdrawn .
Quite a few long time boats on the canal have gone off with no new ones to replace them, maybe they are put off by increased navigation charges, the Surrey C.C. say they can get £3,500 per year for so called "premium" moorings at Mytchette
It would appear that the BCA and Surrey C.C. are only interested in money, still what can u expect from organizations that are run by people who know nothing about canals and care less.The way they are going on the canal will soon be back to a derelict state what a waste of all the time and effort put in by hundreds of enthusiasts over many years.

Edited by Basyfart

The Basingstoke Canal managment must be the most high handed and unfriendly managment on the waterways.Unpowered craft licences have gon up from £2:70 to £50 p.a. this is to bring into line with other waterway , however the River Wey is only £30 pa. The state of the locks and passage times are horrendous and dredging is very badly needed.

Rumour has it that the hire boat operation at the canal center has been forced to pull out because of astronomical price increases from Surrey County Council , an increase of 350% just before they were due to open . Their 72ft 47 seat function boat, 2 self drive day hire boats and disabled access boats have all been withdrawn .

Quite a few long time boats on the canal have gone off with no new ones to replace them, maybe they are put off by increased navigation charges, the Surrey C.C. say they can get £3,500 per year for so called "premium" moorings at Mytchette

It would appear that the BCA and Surrey C.C. are only interested in money, still what can u expect from organizations that are run by people who know nothing about canals and care less.The way they are going on the canal will soon be back to a derelict state what a waste of all the time and effort put in by hundreds of enthusiasts over many years.

This seems a similar theory ti the Beeching era. Maje it difficult for people to use, then claim people dont want to use, then close it!

I lived in Mytchett for a while. The facilities were always off and on even then.

Veware boater of Surrey. It will soon become a Nature Trail with no water

I always understood that the low cost of moorings/licences on the Basingstoke was due to the fact that your boat would be trapped for most of the year.

Perhaps that isn't so any more and they've found a constant source of water to maintain levels regardless of how many boats use the canal laugh.png

Keith

I always understood that the low cost of moorings/licences on the Basingstoke was due to the fact that your boat would be trapped for most of the year.

Perhaps that isn't so any more and they've found a constant source of water to maintain levels regardless of how many boats use the canal laugh.png

Keith

If you have moorings & licence on the top 2 pounds you are charged more than at the lower end of the canal. These top pounds are where you are more likely to get traped through the bodged up repairs to the Deepcut Flight or water shortages. You dont get these problems at the lower end and can usualy get onto the Wey & Thames to go cruising, so why would anybody want to pay "premium" mooring charges for second rate facilities & maintenance managed by people who just do not listen to people who know what they are talking about.

Edited by Basyfart

Largo ventured up the Basingstoke last year, It's a great little canal with mostly unspoilt country side.

But, it is only open on a Saturday at strictly 9am and boats have to prebook.

The small fleet entering is chaperoned by the Rangers that only open certain number of locks in a day.

It takes three days to get up to Mytchet, where the Basingstoke Society have their base, office and shop, where you can get maps and other information about the canal. Guess what day the office and shop is closed!

Locks are ok, not easy, but ok!. They are mostly new gates made of treated softwood, not oak like the main canal system use. But, some are poorly hung and some need a gentle helping hand with the bow fender whilst crews are putting weight on the balance beams.

The main problem the flotilla I was with found was, that as you pass by the locks they are sealed up with muds sawdust etc, but on reopening this falls away and in the end gets behind the bottom gates that then cannot be opened enough to get two boats out!

Most can be "adjusted" eventually, but on others the lock had to be refilled to get one boat back out again so that a single boat could only use the double locks.

I did say to a Ranger that perhaps it would be a good idea to get a couple of them on a closed day, to put waders on and clean behind those gates. The answer came back to me as " well thats the way it is, but we are doing a fantastic job to allow you up here", and where else can you get a holiday for £60.

I wont be going back again, and nor will any of the boats that were in my company!

Sad really, after all the work that the many many volunteers did for years, including myself and my scuba club, and many other clubs raising funds and doing demonstrations and shear physical work!

In my opinion, it is an example of a very top heavy management structure including the councils, wanting to be seen as environmentally friendly with control of a canal they can't manage, but hey, its another few words on our responsibility list and it got street cred!

it was noticeable that all the transport used by what Rangers we saw were brand new 4x4's and the uniforms were immaculate as was the grass at Mytchet!!

Nipper

Disagree with the naysayers. We did the Basingstoke for a week last year getting up to the end of navigation near Odiham Castle. We had a great time and thought it was one of the most attractive and interesting canals on the system with tragically few visiting boats. The Deepcut locks are hard work but the Mrs and I managed fine, mainly on our own. The restrictions on lock passage limit one's options but a bit of pre-planning solves that. The only problem that cannot be got around is if your boat is of more than average height - a couple of bridges are (IIRC) 5ft 10in above the water. In return you have a week or two cruising what must be the most attractive canal in the south (or south + midlands). The mature woodland scenery is stunning with only occasional views of the densely populated Surrey commuter belt. I challenge anyone to name a more attractive spot on the canals than the isolated end of navigation with its crystal clear water through which you can see fishes swimming around your boat, a large number of dragonflies are in residence, and the whole area is overlooked by the historic castle.

One must commend the staff in keeping the canal open and the efforts of the various bodies responsible for the canal in fixing the major problems it was had with the semi-dereliction of the Deepcut locks and the landslips. The canal has its problems. The main (only?) source of water I believe are springs at the Greywell tunnel, water shortage is always a serious risk. The lock gates need to be recaulked every day passage is permitted to minimise leakage.

When we were there in June last year we were told there were only 3 or 4 visiting boats on the whole canal - so visit the Basingstoke, its a great experience!!

• 2 weeks later...

In the very early 1980's I was an unemployed spotty 16 year old. The youth opportunity programme (YOP) was formed to give such acne ridden kids a chance to get off the dole queue and do a bit for the community in return for £11.50 a week. I and few others spent months rebuilding a lock at Deepcut and loved every minute of it. The lock gates were made in an old army swimming pool next to the canal and were floated down to where they were required.

Water shortage problem were evident then and many schemes like back pumping and building a reservoir were discussed but none came to fruition. The Basingstoke canal deserves to be used as a navigable waterway if only because the huge amount of work that went into it's restoration. It really is time a reliable supply of water was found to enable the canal to reach its full potential as one of the most beautiful and tranquil of all the waterways in the UK.

In the very early 1980's I was an unemployed spotty 16 year old. The youth opportunity programme (YOP) was formed to give such acne ridden kids a chance to get off the dole queue and do a bit for the community in return for £11.50 a week. I and few others spent months rebuilding a lock at Deepcut and loved every minute of it. The lock gates were made in an old army swimming pool next to the canal and were floated down to where they were required.

Water shortage problem were evident then and many schemes like back pumping and building a reservoir were discussed but none came to fruition. The Basingstoke canal deserves to be used as a navigable waterway if only because the huge amount of work that went into it's restoration. It really is time a reliable supply of water was found to enable the canal to reach its full potential as one of the most beautiful and tranquil of all the waterways in the UK.

There are two backpumping facilities in use (and have been since the 1990s). First one on the Woodham Flight to replenish the Woking pound and the second one on the St Johns flight to replenish the pound between St John's top lock and Brookwood bottom. There's also water pumped in (off the railway) at Frimley. As I write this there are a number of Byfleet Boat Club boats ascending Brookwood and Deepcut flights.

There is no additional water, there never has been and at the moment Southampton University are looking for any additional water but despite their work and work conducted well known civil engineers over a very long period of time and further supply has not yet been found and the springs at Greywell, to the best of my knowledge, remain the only reliable source of water.

The Deepcut flight is in desperate need of water supply and conservation.

Having worked on the restoration of the Basingstoke since 1972 I know of the years of hard work that we put in to restore this canal not just for boaters but for the use of the gneral public.

It is the attitude of the managment that I am complaining about because they just do not listen to the complaints or advice from people who KNOW and LOVE this waterway. Unpowered craft licences put up from £21:70 to £50 to as they say to " bring them into line" with other waterways. However the SAME licence for the River Wey is £30 and the River Thames £35. You can join Canoe England for about £39 and get a licence that covers ALL CRT waterways, the Thames, River Wey and the Basingstoke also including third party insurance and reduced prices for young persons.

John Cale, the boat hire opperator at the canal centre Mytchett has pulled out all his powered craft because of the proposed increase of licences ( from £4000 to £14500) loss of workshop/storeroom not being able to sell the the buisness as any agreememt would be non assignable,pluss many other restrictions.

The public have lost a 47 seat function boat, 2 self drive day hire boats and a specialy purchased disabled access boat that was the only boat that could take permanent wheelchair passengers within25 miles for short enjoyable public trips.

A number of private boat owners are either paying or planing to pay monthley licences so the can quit this waterway soon, forced out by the high charges being made.

This is why I say that this hard faught for canal is in jepody not from outside, but from its own management.

Edited by Basyfart

I wonder how the jump in charges from £4000 to £14500 was thought of. Did the Increase in fees by so much not even give an inkling that business would not be able to trade and the general public would be deprived of a way onto the canal. Will the Basingstoke revert back to a stinking ditch and be ignored by Hampshire and Surrey County Councils yet again.

Just moved our narrowboat from Newbury to the Basingstoke, this week, now at it's new mooring at a friends house on a garden mooring. We are on the top section and found it very enjoyable and getting through the bottom locks was not too bad but we did this with a visiting boat - the 2nd day is the hardest with 17 locks to do in 6 hours, each lock approx 2-300 yards apart.

We knew about the 2 days to get up and obviously pre-booked but this went well, although the lock keeper thought we were going down not up! So he met us a hour late as he had started unlocking from the top, not the bottom. A lot of weeds in the bottom lock sections too, so needed to de-weed a few times in the day.

However, quite happy with the whole experience and hoping the BC will be a enjoyable home for our boat