Temperature sensor

musicman

Featured Posts

Fired up the engine yesterday to visit the tap for a top up now Spring is here.

The temperature gauge was flickering wildly, so once the hosepipe was running, I came astern to investigate.

It turned out to be the wire connected to the temperature sensor at the front of the head (close to the fan belt).

The spade terminal on the sensor was dirty, so I cleaned it. Then I realised that it felt quite loose too.

Once I reconnected the wire, I fired the engine up again and discovered that the "looseness" of the terminal seemed to be the problem, not the poor/dirty spade connector.

I am assuming that I will need to replace this item sooner rather than later.

Is it just a screw thread into the head? Is there a specification for the replacement that is common to all BMC's or different for the 1.8?

Thanks for any advice.

Philip

The sender in use needs to match the gauge at the other end, as there are multiple standards I believe.

Does the sender give clue to manufacturer, and does the gauge have any identification on it?

Expanding a little on what Alan said, it should say the make on the dial of the temperature gauge - Smiths, VDO, whatever

And, yes, the sender is just screwed into the head. Some water will come out when you remove it

Richard

Edited by RLWP

• 2 weeks later...

Needed to get underway before I could source the new sender unit.

Now here's the thing - I spotted that the loose male spade was attached with what looked like a rivet head.

Took a small hammer, tapped it a few times until the male spade was tight, reconnected the cable and "Hay Presto" the temp gauge works perfectly again.

As my Father-in-law (a mining fitter) always used to say - "If in doubt, give it a wallop with a hammer"!!

I have a similar fault with the oil pressure gauge on Nightwatch. At tick over it shows correct reading. Increase the revs and the needle goes loopy, tooting and froing like a goodun. I will check the connections at the engine end. I have had a look at the gauge end. It's a VDU.

Martyn