Seagoing..not Narrowboats..hope you don't mind

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

Frank was in the RAf (for a very very short time) so maybe the original quote was "there are old pilots, bold pilots but no old bold pilots. (I do talk some tosh after a drink LOL)

Phil

No no..you are absolutely right..!!

Frank went for flying lessons...and this was his 'quote' from the instructor...

OK, being at the moment a lumpy boater, I'll see if I can add anything helpful to the debate. As of last July we're running a Merryfisher 805 semi-displacement hull with a Volvo TAMD 41 200hp shaft drive (with a skeg and ropecutter, saves a few worries). Nice boat, sleeps 4, two in forepeak bunks and foldout double in main cabin. Sticking to displacement speeds (c 7-8 knots) we trundle about using about I think 1 - 1.5 gallons per hour. Get up on the plane and that goes up to about 5-6 gph at 14 - 18 kts. Missus prefers the destination to the journey, so about half and half re displacement/planing. It has a sea toilet, so discharges outside rivers/ offshore. As some upthread have said, shaft v. outdrives is a contentious subject, i prefer shaft, as generally speaking in my experience, cheaper to maintain. Draft is about 0.8 m and it sits nicely on our semi-tidal mooring on the Hamble mud. However, you will be lifting out for antifoul every 12 - 18 months otherwise you WON'T get on the plane. Fully enclosed cabin/ steering position withsliding French doors to cockpit and full cockpit canopy. Previous to that we had a Colcic 26 bilge keel motorsailer and i taught myself to sail, not difficult providing both teacher and pupil have a few braincells! Re standing rigging and sail replacement costs, we got her with the sails she had (that had been up and down both sides of the Channel a few times and were still serviceable when we sold her last July, so not much expense there. Motoring with a Beta BZ482 (13hp) we recorded a humungous 1 litre per hou at hull speed (6.2 kts) in flat water......boy, do I miss THOSE costs!) and of course free when the wind blew in the right direction. Only a brief summary but might give the OP a few ideas.

Ian

OK, being at the moment a lumpy boater, I'll see if I can add anything helpful to the debate. As of last July we're running a Merryfisher 805 semi-displacement hull with a Volvo TAMD 41 200hp shaft drive (with a skeg and ropecutter, saves a few worries). Nice boat, sleeps 4, two in forepeak bunks and foldout double in main cabin. Sticking to displacement speeds (c 7-8 knots) we trundle about using about I think 1 - 1.5 gallons per hour. Get up on the plane and that goes up to about 5-6 gph at 14 - 18 kts. Missus prefers the destination to the journey, so about half and half re displacement/planing. It has a sea toilet, so discharges outside rivers/ offshore. As some upthread have said, shaft v. outdrives is a contentious subject, i prefer shaft, as generally speaking in my experience, cheaper to maintain. Draft is about 0.8 m and it sits nicely on our semi-tidal mooring on the Hamble mud. However, you will be lifting out for antifoul every 12 - 18 months otherwise you WON'T get on the plane. Fully enclosed cabin/ steering position withsliding French doors to cockpit and full cockpit canopy. Previous to that we had a Colcic 26 bilge keel motorsailer and i taught myself to sail, not difficult providing both teacher and pupil have a few braincells! Re standing rigging and sail replacement costs, we got her with the sails she had (that had been up and down both sides of the Channel a few times and were still serviceable when we sold her last July, so not much expense there. Motoring with a Beta BZ482 (13hp) we recorded a humungous 1 litre per hou at hull speed (6.2 kts) in flat water......boy, do I miss THOSE costs!) and of course free when the wind blew in the right direction. Only a brief summary but might give the OP a few ideas.

Ian

Thank you Mr Clue.

Nice of you to take time to send me your thoughts...

I'm now (I think?) down to single diesel engine...

but then...it could be like our canal boat..where we have the 'list' and buy something different !!

I keep finding.. layout is good..but don't like the engine..this engine is good but don't like the layout...

Then "hang on..this is it !!"..oh wait....it's in Scotland...

Lifting/ antifoul is definate consideration..as they seem to charge a lot for lifting down our way (Eastbourne)..

I'm grateful for all that have put ideas here...thank you all...

Bob

Why not consider an Aluminum Alloy Boat !. Doesn't need Anodes. Doesn't need Antifouling, No Rust issues, Massively cuts down on Maintenance.

Single Diesel Engine That's Economical

Why not get one that can do Canals, Rivers, Eateries & the Sea !. Safely and Comfortably, Hmmm !

I'm sure if you look around you'll find one.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2