Getting window glass replaced

Featured Posts

I am interested in what experience people have had in getting broken glass replaced in their narrowboat windows because I am struggling with this right now.

A couple of days ago a large (5ft) window was broken. It looks like an air gun was used but I don't know. I am embarrassed to say I do not actually know when the damage was caused but it is certainly since I left Stone and I am now on the Caldon. I suspect it was in Stoke after Etruria.

I have tried to get a glazier to replace the glass. The local contractor came to the boat and measured up and said it would take at least three days to obtain the glass which is 4mm toughened (BS6206A). Pricewise there was a lot of sucking through teeth and they said they would go away and phone later with a price. When eventually they called it was to say they could not do the job as they do not have the expertise. :-(

The nearest boatyards either can't do the job or tell me it could take anything up to three weeks! That is after I get the boat there and they measure up! They also can not tell me what it will cost but I understand that as I am aware of what is involved. I can't see any other option at present so I am arranging to board the window for a bit more security and then make my way to the boatyard.

Apart from the negative stuff above I am enjoying the Caldon and there is a lot more boat traffic about than I became used to when travelling over the winter!

Hi. Do you know the manufacturer. If you do then give them a call. If you don't then I would try Caldwells at Wigan. They made the windows that we have, which was a good shot, but you say the broken wind on is 5 foot. That's a big gun. However, a manufacturer may well have lots of sizes ready to go. Worth a call. Have used them twice now, absolutely no problem. Good service and quick postage.

Tel. 01942 826406.

Martyn

Hi. Do you know the manufacturer. If you do then give them a call. If you don't then I would try Caldwells at Wigan. They made the windows that we have, which was a good shot, but you say the broken wind on is 5 foot. That's a big gun. However, a manufacturer may well have lots of sizes ready to go. Worth a call. Have used them twice now, absolutely no problem. Good service and quick postage.

Tel. 01942 826406.

Martyn

Martyn, thanks for responding. I stupidly failed to mention that I am cc liveaboard though it should indicate that below my name/avatar. I only need the glass replacing and am not keen to do it myself though I think I understand exactly what is involved. Hence the wording of the thread title!

There's also Channelglaze, but I think the issue is 5 foot is a big window and certainly not a standard size AFAIK.

Hope this hasn't put you off the Caldon, the bit through Etruria isn't very inspiring but it is one of those canals that get's better the further on you go and there is the added bonus of a steam railway.

When one of ours broke we got a local glazier in Loughborough to get us replacement glass.

It's about 90 x 60cm, and was £30ish for the glass of I think.

Took a few days to get it as it is toughened etc, but not too difficult job to do yourself.

Yes, it's the "few days" bit that is the pain. I was informed that the size of the glass required is measured, then the glass is cut, then tempered and this all takes time!

I was also told that the glass is likely to cost over £80 for approx 150x60 cm.

Square corners, or curved? Toughened glass has to be cut to size, and then toughened, which is often a send-away process, however another option can be to use laminated instead, which is what we did with our wheelhouse windows.

Daniel

It might be worth considering polycarbonate glazing to replace the glass. It's stronger, slightly flexible, and from experience, I know that air gun pellets will bounce off a window that size, as will hard kicked footballs and catapulted bolts and stones. The only catch is that at 4 or 6 mm thick, at that size, it will need a brace to hold it rigid enough not to fall out. Something like an aluminium T-strip on the inside every two or three feet, bolted through to a flat strip on the outside.

Fitting involves cutting it to size with a slow running jigsaw and plenty of coolant on the blade. Seal with your favourite mastic.

Square corners, or curved? Toughened glass has to be cut to size, and then toughened, which is often a send-away process, however another option can be to use laminated instead, which is what we did with our wheelhouse windows.

Daniel

Rounded bottom corners which, apparently, are very difficult with laminated glass!

It might be worth considering polycarbonate glazing to replace the glass. It's stronger, slightly flexible, and from experience, I know that air gun pellets will bounce off a window that size, as will hard kicked footballs and catapulted bolts and stones. The only catch is that at 4 or 6 mm thick, at that size, it will need a brace to hold it rigid enough not to fall out. Something like an aluminium T-strip on the inside every two or three feet, bolted through to a flat strip on the outside.

Fitting involves cutting it to size with a slow running jigsaw and plenty of coolant on the blade. Seal with your favourite mastic.

I think I might be a little concerned with how this would look :-)

Hope this hasn't put you off the Caldon, the bit through Etruria isn't very inspiring but it is one of those canals that get's better the further on you go and there is the added bonus of a steam railway.

It ain't the canal's fault!

Unfortunately I will have to cut short my time on the Caldon at present as I have to make my way back to Stone to get the window glass fixed. But I will then be back again, I expect. There is no plan and normally no deadlines, so que sera sera!