Nicholson and Pearson guides.

Supermalc

Featured Posts

As many of you have these, and can check, how up to date are the new ones.

I only ask because most I speak to at Bardney think there is still a marina at Short Ferry, which is just a slight detour along the 'Old Witham'.

In 1986 (or so) the marina was filled in for fishing lakes, when the pub and park changed hands. One of the reason Bardney moorings were built in 1990. Despite spending much of my spare time less than a mile away, I knew none of this at that time.

So is the Trywhitt Arms at Short Ferry still listed as a marina? It closed in 1986, partly due to the river requiring to be dredged to keep it open.

Oh. This is 8 miles east of Lincoln on the Witham.

• 3 months later...

Are the maps guaranteed to be up to date when released? I would think not, since it would be a major undertaking, and so I would assume only minor changes are made between editions rather than wholesale checking of all facts. Anyway by their nature would be out of date from the time the final draft was agreed!

The updates site is useful, though a pub/shop update would be great too

It wouldn't be reasonable to expect guides to be permanently 'up-to-date' - at the end of the day they are no substitute for first hand knowledge.

Having said that, as guides go, they are both pretty good - we prefer Nicholson for maps that we can understand and Pearson for its anecdotal notes . . .

It wouldn't be reasonable to expect guides to be permanently 'up-to-date' - at the end of the day they are no substitute for first hand knowledge.

Having said that, as guides go, they are both pretty good - we prefer Nicholson for maps that we can understand and Pearson for its anecdotal notes . . .

I regularly use my guides that I bought in the early 80s. None of the canals have appeared to move since then. Some have reopened but I refer to my 1960's imray for these ones.

I agree the website is good but I spent an age putting revisions together and e-mailed them to the site.

Never received any thanks nor did the changes get made

(Unlike that nice fella who used to have something to do with Waterscape !!!!!)

:lol:

I think Greg found he didn't have enough time for the updates site any more and wouldn't mind handing it on to someone.

As another approach, I'm involved as a volunteer with the OpenStreetMap project... the idea there is that if you find something wrong on the map, you correct it yourself (a bit like Wikipedia).