What a GREAT day!

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

Wow, didn't think we could top the excitement of last Thursday and our first day out on the big wide red tennis pitch we call our boat, with Ray T and Simon (Capt Fizz) giving us instruction; but today was such a Rush!

Dave and I headed out on our own around lunch time for a wee cruise; I was terrified, knowing that I was not competent enough to give any assistance should he run into difficulties. We arrived back at the marina around 4 and how impressed am I? Well he managed to get us out of the marina and up to the first winding hole past Midland chandlers without bumping a bridge, canal side or another boat! clapping.gif

There was one interesting moment when we were chatting away and me singing his praises just after doing that skew-whiff bridge at the chandlers and coming up to the next bridge we both noticed a boat coming towards us. Dave cut the throttle, put her into reverse as there were boats moored on the off side and there wouldn't have been enough space for the moored boats, the oncoming boat and us all at the same spot. At one point we were pretty much cross wise of the canal, but he still didn't bump anything and managed to get us straightened out before the boat came past. I apologized, explained we were just learning and the jolly reply that came back was "no worries, so are we" :)

I took the tiller a couple of times both on the way out and on the way back, on the straight stretches and actually managed to keep her just about in the centre of the cut; which I was most pleased with, considering how poorly I did on Thursday.boat.gif

On the way back we again at one point were pretty much across the canal (Dave blames a gust of wind, but I think its simply he needs more practice steering in reverse) as we had to reverse again to give another oncoming boat enough space to get between us and some moored boats. Again, I apologized and explained we were just learning (they only had to slow while we sorted ourselves out - not stop btw) and the lady in the cratch gave a smile and said no problem, the "gentleman" on the tiller however gave us a scowl and a look that pretty much said "how dare you have the audacity to bring a thing the size of the Ark Royal onto my bit of the cut, and furthermore not know how to handle it"! He looked like someone who was born with a tiller in his hand and at no point in his life a "beginner" at anything he set his hand too. I simply gave him my biggest, bubblyist smile and said in my best Canadian accent "hope you have a wonderful afternoon"frusty.gif

Coming back into the marina and making the turn past the pump out station was a bit hairy, but all in all I think we (Dave actually) did really well. If there's no wind tomorrow we're going to give it another go.......

I think we're both hooked clapping.gif

Why didn't we do this 10 years ago? Can you get "learner" plates for newbie's, would just save me doing a lot of explaining icecream.gif

Brilliant,,there you go your old hands now enjoy.

I still use the boat to go into town shopping sometimes,any excuse.I love it.hope you will to.

As far as me hitting things go,,,,,no comment,,,,

We take the boat shopping all the time. It is far easier to moor the boat in Lincoln then it is to park the car!

Any excuse to take the boat out. This weekend we will be taking the boat just outside the marina onto the towpath as it's closer to stumble home from the pub!

Are you sure that "gentleman" was born with a tiller in his hand and not a tiller up his arse?

I have only hired a couple of times before now (we paid the balance for our first boat today!) and the first time I set off from Alvechurch I was greeted almost immediately by a bridge with a bend immediately after it and a boat coming the other way on the other side. I made it through the bridge just fine but turning was beyond me so continued straight into the bank and low hanging branches. Cue much ducking and laughter from my wife and friends. That was about 5 years ago and my friends have wound me up about it ever since.

I'm sure even that "gentleman" wasn't perfect the first time he set out.

Keep enjoying it - I know we will

Steve

LOL - sitting in the galley, checking up on the forum and trying to figure out what to do with my newest purchase (bread maker, the 1st one for me btw) and what do I see cruise past.....a very lovely boat with the word Piglet painted on the back :), I gave a wave, but you seemed more focused on what was in front of you rather than what was behind you icecream.gif

Have a Great day out and about boat.gif

LOL - sitting in the galley, checking up on the forum and trying to figure out what to do with my newest purchase (bread maker, the 1st one for me btw) and what do I see cruise past.....a very lovely boat with the word Piglet painted on the back smile.png, I gave a wave, but you seemed more focused on what was in front of you rather than what was behind you icecream.gif

A tip Bettie...

Having spent many years with a breadmaker, may I suggest that you start by using a good strong flour, Allinsons tends to be reliable, (and only £2:00 for 3Kg bags in Asda and Morrison's last time I looked). Dove's is also excellent, but rather expensive.

Once you've got the hang of it, and learned the foibles of both your machine and how it affects the loaves, then start to experiment with other flours.

A tip Bettie...

Having spent many years with a breadmaker, may I suggest that you start by using a good strong flour, Allinsons tends to be reliable, (and only £2:00 for 3Kg bags in Asda and Morrison's last time I looked). Dove's is also excellent, but rather expensive.

Once you've got the hang of it, and learned the foibles of both your machine and how it affects the loaves, then start to experiment with other flours.

Much appreciated G&F, putting in my next Tesco's order tonight so will make sure I order as per your suggestions. Bread Maker is a Russell Hobbs and comes with some recipes, I'll give those a try first as I'm "assuming" they've been perfected on this machine. A couple of them call for "dry milk powder" / "powdered milk", neither Dave nor I drink milk nor use it in out T&C, I normally have some at hand for baking and/or company, but I've no experience at all with powered milk. Is it pretty generic or is there one brand better than the others? Also yeast, same question?

Thanks so much for the guidance, I'm not too bad with cakes, pies and sweets; but have never tried my hand at bread before (ashamed to say), when I was growing up, my Mum made wonderful home made bread from scratch using an old wood/oil cook stove....I fondly remember it getting quite hot in the kitchen during the summer months; but the smell of fresh baked bread is still with me all these years later.

LOL - sitting in the galley, checking up on the forum and trying to figure out what to do with my newest purchase (bread maker, the 1st one for me btw) and what do I see cruise past.....a very lovely boat with the word Piglet painted on the back smile.png, I gave a wave, but you seemed more focused on what was in front of you rather than what was behind you icecream.gif

Oooops, just spotted this!

Did try to keep a look out but didn't see you. Where were you moored?

Much appreciated G&F, putting in my next Tesco's order tonight so will make sure I order as per your suggestions. Bread Maker is a Russell Hobbs and comes with some recipes, I'll give those a try first as I'm "assuming" they've been perfected on this machine. A couple of them call for "dry milk powder" / "powdered milk", neither Dave nor I drink milk nor use it in out T&C, I normally have some at hand for baking and/or company, but I've no experience at all with powered milk. Is it pretty generic or is there one brand better than the others? Also yeast, same question?

Thanks so much for the guidance, I'm not too bad with cakes, pies and sweets; but have never tried my hand at bread before (ashamed to say), when I was growing up, my Mum made wonderful home made bread from scratch using an old wood/oil cook stove....I fondly remember it getting quite hot in the kitchen during the summer months; but the smell of fresh baked bread is still with me all these years later.

Ooops - apologies for late reply.

Skimmed dried milk is a generic product, there is a brand, (Marvel) but retailer brands are darn near identical, and certainly fine for baking.

There are several types of yeast - but the type best used in bread machines is 'instant yeast', and is readily available under the brands of Allinsons, Hovis, Dove's or own label. Of all of them I prefer Dove's. They all have a shelf life of circa 3months from opening, - which is why the sachets of yeast are popular (basically 1 sachet per std loaf) - though, as one might expect - it's the dearest way of buying yeast. (Dove's is available in 125gm packs in Waitrose).

You'll find an enormous array of bread recipes on the internet - and it's fun playing. However, initially you'll find that making a simple recipe nominal 800gm loaf will cost you about 50p - and they're great - - (you'll notice the difference with your very first bite)

I was happy with the breadmaker for a couple of years, adding all sorts of extra ingredients as I became more adventurous, toasted nuts, seeds, olives, garlic, dried fruits, onions, garlic and herbs, spices (not all in the same loaf!)

And then I decided to make bread by hand (that's when the fun really starts!)

Happy baking!

I wish I had room for one. We used one on land, but found that a home-made loaf only stayed proper fresh for about 2 days. If you have a freezer, it freezes well when yer bread is new, with a sliver of grease proof between the slices.

Does anyone else think the top half of the loaf is nicer than the bottom half?

May one believe that your forum identity belies a baker within? ( ;) )

Yeasted breads - homemade ones (without using the array of preservatives necessarily used by most national bakery companies) will normally only last a couple of days - though if you add about 25~30gm of olive oil or butter to the recipe it will last at least an extra day (often two)

And I agree that the crust of a loaf should be the most enjoyable element, after all, that's where the caramelisation of the sugars and malts takes place, so there are richer flavours as well as the crispness of the crust. I have to admit that I've not experimented with only baking the top half of a loaf yet. (!)

However, I now use a solid granite 'stone' in our oven (to replicate a stone oven as well as one can in a Calor-fuelled bote !), and the resulting crust on the base of the loaf is most enjoyable.

Ooops - apologies for late reply.

Skimmed dried milk is a generic product, there is a brand, (Marvel) but retailer brands are darn near identical, and certainly fine for baking.

There are several types of yeast - but the type best used in bread machines is 'instant yeast', and is readily available under the brands of Allinsons, Hovis, Dove's or own label. Of all of them I prefer Dove's. They all have a shelf life of circa 3months from opening, - which is why the sachets of yeast are popular (basically 1 sachet per std loaf) - though, as one might expect - it's the dearest way of buying yeast. (Dove's is available in 125gm packs in Waitrose).

You'll find an enormous array of bread recipes on the internet - and it's fun playing. However, initially you'll find that making a simple recipe nominal 800gm loaf will cost you about 50p - and they're great - - (you'll notice the difference with your very first bite)

I was happy with the breadmaker for a couple of years, adding all sorts of extra ingredients as I became more adventurous, toasted nuts, seeds, olives, garlic, dried fruits, onions, garlic and herbs, spices (not all in the same loaf!)

And then I decided to make bread by hand (that's when the fun really starts!)

Happy baking!

No problem at all G&F, I actually made my first loaf on Sunday - really pleased with my first attempt. Just waiting for my first loaf of wholemeal to finish as I'm typing this :)

Funny I imagined the smell of the baking bread to be stronger than it was, had the crust setting on the darkest setting, and to be honest I don't think I'll ever try it on anything lighter as it was "just" dark enough. But all in all, although a little pale for our liking, the flavour was great......can't wait till I get confident enough to try cheese bread.....Yummy :)

Thank you so much for all the info, I've just ordered some more flour and went with your recommendations.

My lemon squares turned out a real treat yesterday as well :) All is good in the kitchen of the boat

Oooops, just spotted this!

Did try to keep a look out but didn't see you. Where were you moored?

LOL - we're the big red widebeam moored at the end of pontoon 8....just before you go under the little foot bridge which then leads up to butchers bridge and the second part of the marina

Captain Fizz calls us the Big Red Floating tennis court :)

Hopefully we'll catch you the next time your out and about :)

LOL - we're the big red widebeam moored at the end of pontoon 8....just before you go under the little foot bridge which then leads up to butchers bridge and the second part of the marina

Captain Fizz calls us the Big Red Floating tennis court smile.png

Hopefully we'll catch you the next time your out and about smile.png

I do tend to look forward when going through bridges though ;)

It had been an early morning leaving Essex so will try my best to pay more attention in future :)