Electrics

Featured Posts

My new boat currently has 2x alternators and a stirling battery management system fitted

I x starter 3 x leisure, so a pretty standard set up.

My main usage will be a refrigerator, water pump, a few lights in the evenings that I am not at work and a TV at the weekends when my boy comes. I am going to be living aboard (CC) I will be giving the existing wiring a thorough check over/ tidy up and installing new batteries, a decent charger which I will run with my honda EU20i and solar panels, I have allowed a budget of £1500 . Any suggestions ......

Edited by huntergatherer

My new boat currently has 2x alternators and a stirling battery management system fitted

My main usage will be a refrigerator, water pump, a few lights in the evenings that I am not at work and a TV at the weekends when my boy comes. I am going to be living aboard (CC) I will be giving the existing wiring a thorough check over/ tidy up and installing new batteries, a decent charger which I will run with my honda EU20i and solar panels, I have allowed a budget of £1500 . Any suggestions ......

Which of these things do you wish your budget to cover?

Edited by Grace & Favour
spilling mestakes

£2500. Maybe even 3........

I am hoping to get a battery charger, was thinking of one of the stirling 60amp ones, possibly two 220ah batteries and a new starter

Solar panels and a controller

I suppose really it's the type of batteries/panels and charge controller I'm most undecided about, provided no one has anything negative to say about stirling chargers, or can recommend a better one for the money :)

Do a power audit that includes power usage and generation. Look for some realistic data relating to charging rates from solar / land line / generator looking at overall efficiencies throughout a typical year. Factor in the cost of actually generating that power. Use this to then prioritise what you need.

Lot of useful info on electrics and solar power on smilypete's post here http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=63494

I'm looking at some solar and "bimble solar" seem to have a lot of satisfied customers from here. They have a power calculator and lots of info even if you dont use them

I'm not too up on arithmetic, so the calculation side of things is a bit out of my league, I'm happy to run the generator a few of times a week for an hour or so to top things up, if n when needed :)

On average you be running the generator for approx 1-2 hours a day when not cruising, summer time will be less with solar.

Why change batteries ?

what size is existing charger ?

you will need probably initially 300watt minimum solar panels and a mppt controller look at other posts for where to get them from .

Generator will be needed for next winter so investigate what is available for then

Lot of useful info on electrics and solar power on smilypete's post here http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=63494

I'm looking at some solar and "bimble solar" seem to have a lot of satisfied customers from here. They have a power calculator and lots of info even if you dont use them

Thank you .-)

Why change batteries ?

what size is existing charger ?

you will need probably initially 300watt minimum solar panels and a mppt controller look at other posts for where to get them from .

Generator will be needed for next winter so investigate what is available for then

I want to start off with new batteries, there is not currently a charger fitted, just the alternators, with regard the solar I'm not sure whether to go for flexible panels or the ex domestic ones from Bimble

I already have a Honda EU20i generator

:)

Before you choose your charger - it's worthwhile to read this article

Thank you

Which of these things do you wish your budget to cover?

Batteries 2 x 220ah approx £500

Charger stirling 60ah approx £500

Solar panels/controller £500

On average you be running the generator for approx 1-2 hours a day when not cruising, summer time will be less with solar.

I hope I won't, I only use a few lights in the evening when I'm at home, shower for a few minutes (upon occasion) :)

I'll get some candles if it comes to that :)

Edited by huntergatherer

I'm not too up on arithmetic, so the calculation side of things is a bit out of my league,smile.png

That's a pity. A lot of this can be calculated using a spreadsheet some very basic maths and could save you making the wrong decisions.

By flexible solar panels if these are the stick on type my experience was that they lifted the paint and failed after 4 years .the best are solid mounted on brackets so that they can be tilted.

I hope I won't, I only use a few lights in the evening when I'm at home, shower for a few minutes (upon occasion) :)

I'll get some candles if it comes to that :)

A fridge will use from 30-50ah, at bulk charging that will take around 30-50 minutes if 100 efficient for a 60amp charger. 83% efficiency is more likely, but your batteries won't take the full 60amp for the last 10% of charge, this last 10% will take around 2-3 hours alone (I only fully charge once a week).

In summer time solar could cover your usage, but not in winter.

Edited by Robbo