Short stay on the Bridgewater

midget-gem

Featured Posts

What kind of hoops will I have to jump through to stay on the bridge water canal for three weeks? Are there any marinas on the Bridgewater that offer short term moorings?

I notice that Castlefield basin is full of long term moorings, could I get a spot there for a few weeks?

Edited by midget-gem

You need to contact Mike Webb

mwebb@peel.co.uk

for a short term licence. He may be able to advise on short term marina moorings, otherwise non Bridgewater boats are allowed a maximum of 7 days in which to transit the canal en route from one CaRT waterway to another

Elsewhere on Bridgewater there is a maximum of 24 hours mooring ( except for Lymm 48 hours max.)This applies equally to Bridgewater licensed boats also.

There are no long term moorings at Castlefield. 72 hours max is now being enforced.

All non Bridgewater boats should be aware that there is no '14 days in one place ' allowance for anyone. There are no towpath moorings - only overnight stops are allowed

Edited by PBbear

There are a few long term moorings in Manchester, which have been granted due to the old Potato Wharf moorings being closed due to construction.

The Old No 3 (recently closed) offer 48hr visitor moorings.

There are a handful of towpath visitor moorings along the canal with mooring rings such as Dunham, Sale, Stretford, the Bay Malton, etc. They are there if you look for them.

If you are interested in old disused mines then make a stop here at 'Astley Green Colliery Museum' on the Bridgewater

http://www.agcm.org.uk/history.shtml

There are moorings next to the 'Miners Arms' pub owned by the Colliery and you can stay there for a few days without problems according to the volunteers working there.

at the museum. There are spaces for about 3 50' boats and there are rings for tying up or, you can just use the towpath side.

Every other Sunday (don't know which one), the volunteers start the two old winding engines for the public... I missed that unfortunately.

Great place to spend a few hours.

09082011040.jpg

09082011037.jpg

09082011035.jpg

Edited by Androo
  • Greenie 2

Can't do a link put this in google "bridgewater canal moorings" should bring up a list of the approved moorings, I'd be surprised if one of them couldn't sort something out for you with a bit of shuffling and at a reasonable price if you want to stay in one place for a while. As said ask Mike Webb first because there may well be moorings in the marinas they own. If you move enough every day they you won't need a marina from Preston Brook to plank lane Leigh, back onto CRT for a day, back up to Castlefield then back to Preston Brook, maybe a couple of nights at Lymm 48 hours moorings, job done.

K