Clarence Dock (New Dock) in the Yorkshire Evening Post

Robbo

Featured Posts

This is good news for a waterway destination that didn't quite live up to its promise. Allied London have a good track record so there are grounds for optimism.

The proposed water taxi service is a bit of a misnomer as it implies a private (costly) hailed arrangement (there are such taxis on the Amsterdam canals) whereas I believe what is envisaged is a water bus service. If fares are low, and (ideally) part of the Metro network, and well signed and promoted it could work both at commuting times and also as a tourist / leisure service. I would expect the very small passenger boats to use the existing trip boat mooring in New Dock thus no loss of visitor moorings (indeed plans for additional visitor moorings in the area are being developed).

It's a pity, however, that the dock is to be re-named yet again; historically 'New Dock' is correct as the original 'Leeds Dock' still exists, adjacent to Dock Street, albeit without boat access. This was the original Aire & Calder Navigation depot which was superseded by the new BW Knostrop Depot in about 1961 and then operated for about another 10 years or so by Hunts. It's also most unlikely that coal would have been brought to New Dock from the Leeds & Liverpool Canal - but certainly the Leeds Co-Op utilized the dock to moor its fleet of loaded and empty coal barges which came up the A&CN until cessation in (I think) 1975. One use of the dock that seems to have been forgotten is that it was an important oil terminal, until the waterway was enlarged to take 500 tonners and a new wharf was provided below Leeds Lock in 1967. By 1988 tanker operations were concentrated at Woodlesford and the Esso berth became the present water / pump out point and (more recently) visitor moorings. New Dock was also a busy location for handling aggregate until that operation was moved to Goodman Street and combined with the operation formerly at Knottingley about 1990. I hope that bit of waterway history is of interest!

Regards

David L

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

cool.png

Where do these taxis take people?

From Granary Wharf (there's a landing on the river to the right of the lock) to Clarence Dock, New Dock, Leeds Dock, Potato Wharf.

I'm not sure when they are officially starting.

From Granary Wharf (there's a landing on the river to the right of the lock) to Clarence Dock, New Dock, Leeds Dock, Potato Wharf.

I'm not sure when they are officially starting.

Its not very far.

Maybe they could take them to Woodlesford and Lemmonroyd and give them a good trip out.

I would pay for that.

Its not very far.

Maybe they could take them to Woodlesford and Lemmonroyd and give them a good trip out.

I would pay for that.

I understand the idea is to encourage 'foot fall' to Leeds Dock from the city rather than provide 'boat trips' as such.

But yes a run to Woodlesford with. BBQ on board would be a nice run if a bit grim running in and out of Leeds. For anybody with a bit of historical interest there would also be lots to talk about given how much that stretch has been altered over the years.

Its not very far.

I would pay for that.

It's Allied London and a new company (not sure which one) that are funding the taxis, the idea is too bring the workers down from the train station (the pickup point is close to the new entrance that is being built). Also seeing them on the water will be a big ad for the dock. Shame there's nothing too see yet.

I understand the idea is to encourage 'foot fall' to Leeds Dock from the city rather than provide 'boat trips' as such.

But yes a run to Woodlesford with. BBQ on board would be a nice run if a bit grim running in and out of Leeds. For anybody with a bit of historical interest there would also be lots to talk about given how much that stretch has been altered over the years.

Actually that will be a good option for Thwaite Mills on it's "steam days". Boat trip from outside Potato Wharf down to Thwaite Mills. Canal Connections (which have adopted the canal near Thwaite Mills) now have the old trip boat Apollo.

Ah busy during the waterways festival...

It would be nice to think Allied London can

make a success of this area, it could

be a great asset.

I've been to nearly all of them, This was the worst Waterfront festival, although Clarence Dock was better than previous years. Granary Wharf was totally dead this year, only a few craft stalls. Usually there is activities you can do on the water here. In addition none of the large boats were invited like Sobriety or Amy Howson.

Edited by Robbo

I've been to nearly all of them, This was the worst Waterfront festival, although Clarence Dock was better than previous years. Granary Wharf was totally dead this year, only a few craft stalls. Usually there is activities you can do on the water here. In addition none of the large boats were invited like Sobriety or Amy Howson.

We arrived at Granary Wharf on the Friday night, no idea what was going to be happening but thought there would be something. Tied by a CRT notice encouraging boats to double up if need be, but apart from a fibreglass cruiser which looked as though it had been there for a while we were the only boat.

Saturday lunchtime we moved down to Thwaite Mill, there was a bit more going on (including a 'Steam Punk Market', of all things) although there was no mooring space there, partly because, apparently, they have let a fair chunk of their space to long term moorers.

Tim

Saturday lunchtime we moved down to Thwaite Mill, there was a bit more going on (including a 'Steam Punk Market', of all things) although there was no mooring space there, partly because, apparently, they have let a fair chunk of their space to long term moorers.

Thwaite Mills was one of the better places for the Waterfront Festival this year. If there's no space at on the visitor mooring, you can moor opposite as it's only a short walk over the bridge.

We arrived at Granary Wharf on the Friday night, no idea what was going to be happening but thought there would be something. Tied by a CRT notice encouraging boats to double up if need be, but apart from a fibreglass cruiser which looked as though it had been there for a while we were the only boat.

Tim

AFAIK, they've let ALL (but one) of their visitor moorings out to long term moorers - - (and they charge £5 a night for that one!)

(And I hear that one of the moorers is a right dodgy character!)

;)

Edited by Grace & Favour

Thwaite Mills was one of the better places for the Waterfront Festival this year. If there's no space at on the visitor mooring, you can moor opposite as it's only a short walk over the bridge.

That's exactly what we did, but moved on in the evening.

Tim

(And I hear that one of the moorers is a right dodgy character!)

;)

Has a nice boat tho :)

That's exactly what we did, but moved on in the evening.

To be honest it's not in the best area of Leeds, the long term mooring is behind fencing and gates so keeps out most of the riff raff. Keeping things locked like bikes and generators is a must otherwise.

Congrats, there's a good bunch of moorers up at the dock. I often visit (by boat and by foot) so will make meself known next time around.

Thanks,

I'm in a blue springer with stupid solar boxes that look like wardrobes on the roof.

Well done!

We'll be in Leeds for a little while soon, so will look out for you and say "hi", too.

I will look forward to it.

We might not be in there that much as I like Woodlesford Lemonroyd and Rodley a lot but I'm hoping Cart will not be on our backs like they have been this year.

I did notice that it said in the T&Cs that we can let a friend use our mooring for short times if we get permission of C&RT, as anyone ever done this?

Hi

Yes we do it occasionally. Your mooring manager will be the same as ours - Rob Taylor - We just send him a quick email or text if we are heading off and we know someone will be using our mooring in Wakefield.