Water getting in

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

Our windows had been happily sitting there, minding their own business and not letting in any water, for over 20 years. Last summer three of them at different times started leaking slightly around the frame. In each case I checked the tightness of all the screws and found a couple that easily gave quarter of a turn, and each time it stopped the leak. It's still on my to-do list to check all the other windows.

• Greenie 1

One possible place for water to find its way in is around the side doors. Many boats have a roof drain above the doors Which directs large amounts of rainwater down the side of the boat. Normally, any water finding its way into the gap between the doors and the side of the boat is caught in a vertical channel and drains downwards and out. If, however there is a crack in the joint between the side of the boat and the channel, water will find its way behind the linings and end up in the cabin bilge. I had just this problem last year and solved it by forcing sealant into the joint.

Thanks guys. I think the windows are well sealed, the windows were taken out when she was painted and put in beautifully and at least look to be well sealed, although, the double glazing in one hopper has blown! Very cross about that.

It is only when it rains, so must be creeping in from the roof - I will have to wait until the rain stops and sort it out then.

When ever that might be!!

In the meantime, bung a cover over the offending mushroom and weight down with something that will deflect the water from running into the crack. That worked for me for... ermm.. months till i got round to fixing it!

In the meantime, bung a cover over the offending mushroom and weight down with something that will deflect the water from running into the crack. That worked for me for... ermm.. months till i got round to fixing it!

Another idea is a tarpaulin over the whole boat. That'll sort it out!

:D

MtB

Another idea is a tarpaulin over the whole boat. That'll sort it out!

biggrin.png

........ But only if you can find ways of lashing it down in this weather, where it both stays in one piece and in the right place. Plus you'll lose people's friendship if where it ultimately turns up is wound round their prop, (and they identify it as yours, of course....).

P.S. Best not to light the stove whilst the tarpaulin is on there.

Try the creeping crack cure again in the same place you used it and go maybe a little further away with it. It can take two or three goes.

If it doesn't stop then get someone up there with a hosepipe around the whole area and see if you can see where it comes in then. The hole or crack the water comes in can be invisible and still let loads of water in.