Cratch fitting - pop rivets or stainless screws?

Monsoon merchant

Featured Posts

Hi. We are getting a cratch board and cover fitted. The supplier's standard procedure is to use pop rivets to attach the necessary fittings to the boat. Do people have any thoughts on advantages/disadvantages or each, and would you pay a premium (I don't know how much yet) to have stainless screws used? Thanks for your help.

Mine has stayed in place with pop rivets for longer than the 6 years I've owned it and they're easy to drill out should the need ever arise. I think rivets are the better bet as they spread on the inside so grip better, so I'm with the rivet option.

K

I was told that if they are doing it in a sensible way they use a type of pop rivet that is specially designed to be very easy to drill out, so it is a doddle to (for example) replace damaged hooks still using the original holes with new rivets.

Personally I think the rivet idea sounds better - they will lay a lot flusher than most screws, as well.