Recipe forum?

miles beyond

Featured Posts

What about a sub section for those meals which you can put on - go boating - and come back to ? Those meals which are done long and slow in the oven, or even on the top of the fire - or in Danial's case on the top of the boiler.

I seem to remember there was a motorists cook book, one was to do pork chops, wrapped in foil stuck on the exhaust manifold for 20 minutes at 40mph. Who works out this stuff ???

Well, I'm becoming an expert on store cupboard stodge for those who cruise to places where there are few shops......

One of our faves is 'Space Breakfast' so named because theres not much space on a vanette to do a trad cooked breakfast. It can also be varied to suit tinned or fresh food, depending on what you have. It's a breakfast hash, basically.

Prepare the following:

Slice some new potatoes or tinned ones if you don't have fresh. If they're fresh, boil them til just tender then drain.

Chop an onion and some mushrooms (you can use tinned mushrooms if you don't have fresh) I've even used pickled onions when its got a bit desperate on the fresh ingredients front.

Chop some sausages up, or a whole packet of bacon, or if there are lots of you, use both. If you don't have fresh sausages, use tinned hotdogs, or those German cured ones in packets (Lidl sells them), you can also use, dare I say it - Spam.

Stir Fry potatoes, onions, mushrooms and whatever meat you chose in a big pan in veg oil (wok is ideal). You want to burn it a bit, make it a bit crispy.

In a seperate small pan, cook some eggs, I usually beat one or two eggs per person, then fry in a pan. Add this to the main pan, when cooked and break up a bit and serve.

We vary this sometimes and make Spanish space breakfast, using tin or jar olives, green or black and a chopped clove of garlic.

Edited by Crazy Scheme

What about a sub section for those meals which you can put on - go boating - and come back to ? Those meals which are done long and slow in the oven, or even on the top of the fire - or in Danial's case on the top of the boiler.

I seem to remember there was a motorists cook book, one was to do pork chops, wrapped in foil stuck on the exhaust manifold for 20 minutes at 40mph. Who works out this stuff ???

That's all in this book

Manifold Destiny

I've done poached salmon with dill (well wrapped up in tin foil) in the dish washer - worked a treat. :blush:

You have a dishwasher................. WOW, RESPECT.

I am our dishwasher, sniff, sniff :banghead:

Not on board I hasten to add - I cannibalised two defunct machines being abandoned by neighbours to make 1 working machine.

Onion Bargees

Here's a recipe that is the favourite on our holiday trips:

Finely chop up a large onion and rinse in water.

Put in a bowl and add a goodly sprinkling of strong curry powder, salt and add Gram Flour (from Tescos or Indian Food shop) until its all sticky and will fall off a tablespoon in dollops. Add a little water if the mix is not gloopy enough.

Drop dollops into a large saucepan 1/3 full of hot vegetable oil (not too many at a time) and turn over occasionally until golden brown.

Serve with a heated jar of curry sauce and a bowl of basmati rice.

Chopped broccoli and cauliflower can also be added to the mix.

Edited by Christine

Its just the last gasp hope from an old woman aproaching 55 with a windlass and a sea searcher looking for fun :):banghead:

Perhaps Jon should have started a Canal World Lonely Hearts Club.

Old, slightly green alien seeks female with magnetic personality. Apply at bridge No 57