Light bulb adapters

Serendipity

Featured Posts

I'd like to use some halogen bulbs in place of some of my bayonet type bulbs in the cabin, and wondered whether there was such a thing as an adapter. Search on Google has turned up some adapters for domestic light sockets (US), but nothing suitable - I wonder if anyone has come across anything?

Yes, you can go the adaptor route, of course.

But equally you can just buy halogen bulbs that have bayonet bases that match your existing bulb-holders.

These can come with just the halogen bulb mounted protruding from the base, (so usual rules about not touching the exterior of the 'glass' apply).

Or you can get a type that has an extra glass bulb covering the halogen bit. These look more like yoiur original bulbs, can be handled, but usually cost up to twice as much per bulb, in my experience, (which was limited to chandleries).

I know Canal Shop man had both types last time I was passing Whilton.

But equally you can just buy halogen bulbs that have bayonet bases that match your existing bulb-holders.

I know Canal Shop man had both types last time I was passing Whilton.

Cheers - I did wonder, but couldn't find those either. I owe CSM a favour so i'll get in touch.

Julian

Need to get the terminology right when talking about lamps, it is Tungsten Halogen lamps you should be looking at. Tungsten simply refers to the filament, all car head, sidelights and even domestic types are tungsten. Halogen refers to the family of inert gasses which surround the filament and make for very high efficiencies.

Need to get the terminology right when talking about lamps, it is Tungsten Halogen lamps you should be looking at. Tungsten simply refers to the filament, all car head, sidelights and even domestic types are tungsten. Halogen refers to the family of inert gasses which surround the filament and make for very high efficiencies.

...and LAMP refers to the fact we pass current though it to gain light, rather than planting it in the grown for some colour come spring!

Daniel

I would, respectfully take issue with this. The inert cases are those in group VIII of the periodic table. They are inert because they have full outer electron shells and include Helium, Neon, Argon, Krypton, Xenon, Radon. The halogens are the elements in group VII. They are highly reactive because they are just one electron short of a full shell and include Fluorine, Chlorine, Bromine, Iodine and Astatine.

I quote from the Wikipedia article on the use of Halogens to make incandescent lights brighter:

"One invention that addressed the problem of short lamp life was the halogen lamp, also called the tungsten-halogen lamp, the quartz-halogen lamp or the quartz-iodine lamp, wherein a tungsten filament is sealed into a small envelope filled with a halogen gas such as iodine or bromine. In an ordinary incandescent lamp, the thickness of the filament may vary slightly. The resistance of the filament is higher at the thinner portions which causes the thin areas to be hotter than the thicker parts of the filament. The rate of tungsten evaporation will be higher at these points due to the increased temperature, causing the thin areas to become even thinner, creating a runaway effect until the filament fails. A tungsten-halogen lamp creates an equilibrium reaction in which the tungsten that evaporates when giving off light is preferentially re-deposited at the hot-spots, preventing the early failure of the lamp. This also allows halogen lamps to be run at higher temperatures which would cause unacceptably short lamp lifetimes in ordinary incandescent lamps, allowing for higher luminous efficacy, apparent brightness, and whiter color temperature. Because the lamp must be very hot to create this reaction, the halogen lamp's envelope must be made of hard glass or fused quartz, instead of ordinary soft glass which would soften and flow too much at these temperatures."

I hope that I have not gone on too long!

:banghead:

All the best

Nick

To address the original question - have a look at:

http://www.leisure-electrics.co.uk/acatalog/adaptors.html

Unfortunately, they only supply adaptors for 27mm Eddison and 15mm Bayonet fittings.

It may also be worth having a look at:

http://www.bedazzled.uk.com/

There was a very good article about the above on page 33 of 'Towpath Talk', issue 13, 16/11/2006

A word of caution. The previous owner of Theodora fitted bulbs which were too powerful for the fittings and damaged them and, possibly, the wiring.

Nick :banghead: