Surecal 40L Calorifier

chilligibbon

Featured Posts

Looks like I am going to have to replace the calorifier, I have been recommended to buy surecal, the largest one I can get in where it needs to go is probably 40 litres.

Think this is slightly smaller than the one it will be replacing.

Does anyone one have any opinions on the type and also if the size is sufficient, two people, two showers and a bit of washing up is prob all it would need to supply?

I'd say 40L is a bit on the small size for the use you are suggesting.

Will it be a vertical, or horizontal one, though?

Most people reckon vertical is best both for performannce, and because there is a good chance of some trapped air in the top of the horizontal ones, somewhat reducing the amount available for hot water.

We have a horizontal 55L Surecal and it is OK, but if we lost about a third of that capacity down to 40L, I'm not sure it would be.

I'd say 40L is a bit on the small size for the use you are suggesting.Will it be a vertical, or horizontal one, though?Most people reckon vertical is best both for performannce, and because there is a good chance of some trapped air in the top of the horizontal ones, somewhat reducing the amount available for hot water.We have a horizontal 55L Surecal and it is OK, but if we lost about a third of that capacity down to 40L, I'm not sure it would be.

It will be horizontal, problem I have is that currently it lies cross boat ways under the prop shaft and the shaft is 350mm from the floor..

The surecal are 350mm high so I need to place it at an angle to follow contour of the swim in the rear cabin bilge, so need to go for a calorifier that is approx 800mm long max.

It will be horizontal, problem I have is that currently it lies cross boat ways under the prop shaft and the shaft is 350mm from the floor..

The surecal are 350mm high so I need to place it at an angle to follow contour of the swim in the rear cabin bilge, so need to go for a calorifier that is approx 800mm long max.

Well I would have thought having a calorifier actually down in the bowels of the rear swim was fairly unusual, but perhaps I'm wrong? Your Avatar looks like a Hudson boat, I think, and if you are avoiding a prop shaft, I assume with engine forward of a back cabin - does SMH routinely put calorifiers in that location, I wonder?

For a start it would in my view be one of the coldest bits of the boat, surrounded by baseplate and swim, so more subject to cooling off than if say under a bed. Also how is it retained? The Surecal ones normally have pre-attached stainless steel straps with holes to allow you to screw it down to the floor. You can't exactly do that if the "floor" is the baseplate of the boat!

Personally I think you may be disappointed with the performance of a 40 litre horizontal, even if well enough insulated that the location doesn't lose you too much heat.

Don't know what to advise instead though - if it's under the floor of a back cabin, as I suspect, a vertical one would not appear to be an option!

Edited by alan_fincher

Well I would have thought having a calorifier actually down in the bowels of the rear swim was fairly unusual, but perhaps I'm wrong? Your Avatar looks like a Hudson boat, I think, and if you are avoiding a prop shaft, I assume with engine forward of a back cabin - does SMH routinely put calorifiers in that location, I wonder?For a start it would in my view be one of the coldest bits of the boat, surrounded by baseplate and swim, so more subject to cooling off than if say under a bed. Also how is it retained? The Surecal ones normally have pre-attached stainless steel straps with holes to allow you to screw it down to the floor. You can't exactly do that if the "floor" is the baseplate of the boat!Personally I think you may be disappointed with the performance of a 40 litre horizontal, even if well enough insulated that the location doesn't lose you too much heat.Don't know what to advise instead though - if it's under the floor of a back cabin, as I suspect, a vertical one would not appear to be an option!

I am not sure if this is "normal" in a hudson boat but in our case, whoever commissioned the boat had no fixed bedroom, instead a dinette/ double conversion behind the galley so no under bed space available.

We haven't had the boat long and have had trouble with the diesel heater so only heated the tank a couple of times but seems to hold its temp fairly well, and that is just a standard copper tank with foam insulation, I have been told that the surecal are supposed to be quite an effective unit.

The tank was secured with wooden batons glued to the floor, oh and about half a ton of ballast bricks!

Looking again, I'm not sure if you have said the reason you need to replace it?

Has it actually failed, please?

Long story Alan! I have a thread about water in back cabin bilge, sure you will be able to find it. Basically I think there is a small split somewhere in the cylinder.

It sounds like it may be time to consider biting the bullet and relocating the tank to somewhere that it can be more accessible, and ideally an upright big one. A corner of the engine room perhaps?

Unfortunately there is not really anywhere else of a suitable size. It is quite accessible under the back cabin floor, just maybe a slightly odd size needed to get anything over 40l in there.

Long story Alan! I have a thread about water in back cabin bilge, sure you will be able to find it.

Ah that was you!

Makes sense now!

I'm interested what others have to say, but I still think its in an odd location!

You mention a dinette - I suspect it may be no good in your case, but it is not unheard of to have a horizontal one under the fixed seat of one of those.

To the op, and of not much relevance to the thread... I looked over your boat when it was on brokerage at Braunston. Hudsons aren't really my thing, but yours had a lovely feel to it. The fit out was nothing special on the face of it, but when you looked closely everything was just right. Sounding like I'm rambling a bit now but of all the boats I've viewed, I think yours would be the easiest to bond with and live happily ever after in. Call me shallow, but the lack of fake rivets helped :)

I did my usual 'thinking about it' thing while you were busy buying it, as is my way... Sorry to hear you've had a few minor problems with it, but I'm sure you've got a great boat, and at a good price too even if you paid what they were asking.

Looks like I am going to have to replace the calorifier, I have been recommended to buy surecal, the largest one I can get in where it needs to go is probably 40 litres.

Think this is slightly smaller than the one it will be replacing.

Does anyone one have any opinions on the type and also if the size is sufficient, two people, two showers and a bit of washing up is prob all it would need to supply?

How are you getting on with your Mikuni that you asked about in mid December BTW, any luck at all?

(Following on from this thread:)

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=61443&page=4&hl=smpt#entry1196215

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Looking back at the pictures we took of Cardinal when we were thinking of buying it, there are some places to put a bigger horizontal tank, but it all depends on whether you wish to move it or not.

Your choice, good luck!

Open to any suggestions you may have, I reckon I know the underfloor of the boat pretty well now after spending what seems like weeks down there and I have no idea where else I would put a horizontal tank!

To the op, and of not much relevance to the thread... I looked over your boat when it was on brokerage at Braunston. Hudsons aren't really my thing, but yours had a lovely feel to it. The fit out was nothing special on the face of it, but when you looked closely everything was just right. Sounding like I'm rambling a bit now but of all the boats I've viewed, I think yours would be the easiest to bond with and live happily ever after in. Call me shallow, but the lack of fake rivets helped :)

I did my usual 'thinking about it' thing while you were busy buying it, as is my way... Sorry to hear you've had a few minor problems with it, but I'm sure you've got a great boat, and at a good price too even if you paid what they were asking.

Hiya, we absolutely love the boat, even though I may have had the odd second thought and frustrating moment but guess you have to expect these things with original equipment approaching 14 years old!

Have you found a boat yet?

How are you getting on with your Mikuni that you asked about in mid December BTW, any luck at all?

(Following on from this thread:)

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=61443&page=4&hl=smpt#entry1196215

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Hi Pete,

Seemed to roll from one thing to another on the Mikuni, decided that we would bite the bullet and out with the old and in with the new!

Had a new Webasto fitted, new calorifier next and then hopefully I can relax a bit and sit back and enjoy the boat for a while!