Red/Green switch on Travel Power box

Supertramp

Featured Posts

simple question.....

The 3.5Kw Travel Power box has a small rocker switch at the bottom centre.

it doesnt light up despite having red and green windows on it, and I cant see any change in function whatever the switch state.

The online instruction manual sites all seem to have a later model than mine, and no mention is made of this switch.

What does it do?

What should it be set on?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Tony

If only everything in life was that simple.....

Thanks for the now 'blindingly obvious' answer, I must admit to only looking at it without the engine running, and of course - switching it makes no difference then.

An on/off switch makes perfect sense

suitably embarrassed now.

Tony

If only everything in life was that simple.....

Thanks for the now 'blindingly obvious' answer, I must admit to only looking at it without the engine running, and of course - switching it makes no difference then.

An on/off switch makes perfect sense

suitably embarrassed now.

Tony

Tony - no worries - - I made a remarkably similar error a couple of years ago.. at least, on t'internet, no-one can see us blush!

If the green light is on then the TP is happy and making 230v

If the red light is on then the TP is not happy about something

If neither light is on then either:

TP is working but not able to produce a full 230v due to excessive load

or (as you now know)

the engine is not running or the switch is off.

...........Dave

We have an amber light as well - means the rpm is more than necessary for the load.

So what's the difference between that and the green light?????? (we've got the old black box version which appears pretty much bomb proof...bearing failure excepted).

...........Dave

So what's the difference between that and the green light?????? (we've got the old black box version which appears pretty much bomb proof...bearing failure excepted).

...........Dave

I'm not on the boat where the manual is, TP box is hidden away (we have a remote panel), but IIRC the green light is as you say -TP is happily making 240v. If the amber light is on as well, it just means the rpm is unnecessarily high. Not a problem except for wasting fuel. So you can reduce the engine rpm until the amber light goes out, leaving just the green, then rpm is optimal.

In practice I rarely look at the amber light because we are normally cruising when the TP is on and the desired rpm is more to do with boat propulsion than the TP.

Edited by nicknorman