Problems with T&G Ceiling

Featured Posts

• 3 months later...

I don't know if anyone has any ideas but I'm having big troubles with my TulipWood T & G ceiling. Its 'popped' away from the battens recently and there was a slight sign of damp in the wood so I removed and resealed the mushroom vents - as its the only place it could have come from - and had damaged parts replaced with new Tulipwood by a carpenter - cost around £500. This only happened in one area of the boat.

Now a couple of months later its happened again in exactly the same place -slightly off centre and not directly under the vents but its happened along the same line in the bedroom as well as the lounge/galley like before. There is absolutely no sign of water coming in at all, but obviously the weather has got colder and damper?

Don't want to get it fixed before I find out why its happening.

Thanks

Michael

Did you manage to sort it out? I'm asking because I've got exactly the same problem on my boat, it's also tulipwood T&G. It is getting worse and worse and I'm worried that the ceiling may collapse if i won't do anything about it. The boat is also less than 1 year old.

It's quite possible battens haven't been screwed just glued, mixed with shoddy insulation and some condensation can easily cause battens to dislodge.

If you press upwards on the ceiling and it moves up and down then you can be pretty sure the battens have dislodged. If the T&G has been nailed though, the batten could still be fixed and nails slipping out. Where loose you'll need to remove the T&G and find out exactly what's happening. It's undoubtedly poor construction IMO if this has occurred in just one year from new. I would be returning the boat to the builder in these circumstances.

It's quite possible battens haven't been screwed just glued, mixed with shoddy insulation and some condensation can easily cause battens to dislodge.

If you press upwards on the ceiling and it moves up and down then you can be pretty sure the battens have dislodged. If the T&G has been nailed though, the batten could still be fixed and nails slipping out. Where loose you'll need to remove the T&G and find out exactly what's happening. It's undoubtedly poor construction IMO if this has occurred in just one year from new. I would be returning the boat to the builder in these circumstances.

Thanks Julynian. I managed to put one of these wired cameras inside the ceiling and it seems that luckily, the battens are still in place. As you suggested the nails are slipping out (I attached some pics, sorry for the quality). I'm thinking about marking the battens, pushing the ceiling back in its place with a help of car jack, and then putting the screws through.

20140417_175125.jpg

20140417_175423.jpg

nails1.jpg

nails2.jpg

Edited by Staarek

Hi, sorry for the delay I've only just checked this!

My problem was because the T&G had ben fitted tight against the sides of the boat, had got slightly damp and expanded over the Winter.

I took it all down, sanded all the glue off which took ages by hand, and refitted it all with a slight - and I mean slight - expansion gap on each length. then I finished with approx. 5mm all down both sides - which I will cover with beading to allow for any future problems.

hopefully that's it sorted, I am now putting 3 coats of clear Danish Oil onto the ceiling and i'll see how it goes!

I might be interested in the lengths of tulip?

I might be interested in the lengths of tulip?

They are available still, up at our workshop, which I am now closing....see the Beacon Boats remnants thread. Most welcome to offer me a something for them if you wish. They are uncoated.

They are available still, up at our workshop, which I am now closing....see the Beacon Boats remnants thread. Most welcome to offer me a something for them if you wish. They are uncoated.

Hi

I cant seem to find the relevant Beacon Boats thread and I searched under tha tas well?