Solar Panels and Battery Bank

helrow

Featured Posts

Hello again all and thanks for informative discussion,

So we've decided to go for 4 batteries and 2 x 100w panels. We were advised that the flexi ones heat up a lot in summer thus losing a lot of the energy they've generated, so I think we're going to go with framed ones (plus MPPT controller) after all.

We've been advised that having a sterling battery management system is a good idea, but I'm wondering about the extra expense (over £350 once all the cables and stuff are accounted for). What do you all reckon? Is it worth the extra expense? The bloke we've been getting boaty/leccy advise from raves about his - he says it's saved him what it cost him within a couple of years. Could we just keep an eye on them using a voltmeter or is there a reason the sterling is that much better?

Any thoughts/experiences much appreciated as usual!

Helena

My own experience. Nightwatch has a Sterling system onboard. It was partially operable when we bought the boat and over the years has become inoperable.

I have also learnt over the years that rather than replace with another, that I will go for the Merlin System, Smartguage. Allegedly it's the Dogs Wotsits.

Only my view though.

Sorry to high jack your thread earlier. It has supplied loads of answers to queries that I had.

Martyn

My own experience. Nightwatch has a Sterling system onboard. It was partially operable when we bought the boat and over the years has become inoperable.

I have also learnt over the years that rather than replace with another, that I will go for the Merlin System, Smartguage. Allegedly it's the Dogs Wotsits.

Only my view though.

Sorry to high jack your thread earlier. It has supplied loads of answers to queries that I had.

Martyn

No apology necessary - all very useful stuff for all.

Thanks for your advice, I'll look at the Merlin system too... My question was more whether you think a battery management system full stop is worth splashing out on, or whether sensible maintenance and routine checkups of the batteries are enough? Could we happily do without one of these at all or is that asking for trouble?

Six of one, half a dozen of another.

Cause I'm a lazy and forgetful beggar, not really, I would rather equipment to do the job for me. Convenience and all that. Of course it's possible to monitor the batteries manually if money is an issue for what ever reason.

Martyn

I wouldnt bother with the Sterling. You will still need to maintain batteries if you have one. Most of my fits have included a smartgauge on top of the mppt and panels. The tracer does come with an optional digital panel but this is nowtime readings and the state of charge is not realistic.