Just failed 2nd BSS...on items passed 1st time round!

Québec

Featured Posts

Interesting discussion considering the government has removed the requirement for an MOT on pre 60's cars.

Yes well, don't even start me on that.

Personally I agree the bss is mainly targeting 'safety of others' areas, largely reasonable in the way it does it, and hence a good thing.

Daniel

Cannot do that under the new 2013 BSS - as the paint / colour scheme has to be detailed on the 'forms' by the examiner. I asked why? and was told it made it easier to recognise the boat.

Maybe if you paint your boat you need to re-apply for a BSS banned.gif

No, No. a BSS man will simply turn up and repaint your boat in it's original colours!smile.png

Indeed, and I'm expecting the stats to illustrate option 2 is the case.

Happy to be proved wrong though, but I suspect the stats don't exist or were never collected, and this reg is a good example of a safety committee getting carried away. Easy to do when the cost and inconvenience of meeting their regulations will be born by others.

Even so, I think fixing batteries in place is a good idea. I just doubt it is saving any lives.

MtB

Reliable stats do not exist. On inland waterways, dangerous occurrences, near misses, minor injuries are rarely reported. Deaths and serious injuries usually do get reported, but to a variety of authorities that did not always communicate with each other. The various authorities are now starting to get together on this issue I am pleased to say. But statistics on near-misses and dangerous occurrences are unlikely to be gathered with any degree of liability due to the leisure nature of of the waterways. These are just as important to safety assessments as the number of deaths caused by.....

Option 1 must always be taken in cases where there has been loss of life or serious injury, and I think always is. Option 2 should also be taken, but I agree, can sometimes be over zealous. I don't think that the two cases in discussion, (Batteries and LPG bottles) fit into the over-zealous category as they cost very little to comply to

Reliable stats do not exist. On inland waterways, dangerous occurrences, near misses, minor injuries are rarely reported. Deaths and serious injuries usually do get reported, but to a variety of authorities that did not always communicate with each other. The various authorities are now starting to get together on this issue I am pleased to say. But statistics on near-misses and dangerous occurrences are unlikely to be gathered with any degree of liability due to the leisure nature of of the waterways. These are just as important to safety assessments as the number of deaths caused by.....

Option 1 must always be taken in cases where there has been loss of life or serious injury, and I think always is. Option 2 should also be taken, but I agree, can sometimes be over zealous. I don't think that the two cases in discussion, (Batteries and LPG bottles) fit into the over-zealous category as they cost very little to comply to

It doesn't cost much to insist on life jackets, smoke alarms CO alarms, interlock to weed hatch covers, bed rails. where do you stop. I agree that boats should be to a basic standard so they do not represent a hazard to 3rd parties, but feel it should stop there. I still believe that deaths have been caused by the ventilation requirements being so high, resulting in people blocking them off to keep warm. I know on our last boat the only way you could use the lounge in the winter was to block the vents in the front door..

It doesn't cost much to insist on life jackets, smoke alarms CO alarms, interlock to weed hatch covers, bed rails. where do you stop. I agree that boats should be to a basic standard so they do not represent a hazard to 3rd parties, but feel it should stop there. I still believe that deaths have been caused by the ventilation requirements being so high, resulting in people blocking them off to keep warm. I know on our last boat the only way you could use the lounge in the winter was to block the vents in the front door..

The items you mention are relatively expensive and in most cases the BSS does not insist upon.(I think your "line" has been drawn.) On the ventilation issue, unless there is no ventilation whatever (high or low) the BSS is advisory only. If the ventilation is insufficient the owner as solely responsible for the safety of his boat and persons on board has been advised and may choose to ignore the BSS advice. Similarly if he decides to block off ventilators it is entirely up him. He can decide to allow ventilation to suit his circumstances as he wishes, but if he gets it wrong, then he is solely to responsible for any mishap.

Edited by Radiomariner