Middlewich Lock 74

AndrewIC

Featured Posts

Hope they get this sorted a bits sharpish, otherwise my Christmas cruise is going rather shorter than planned!

Notice Alert

Trent & Mersey Canal - 028 to Trent & Mersey Canal - 003

Thursday 12 December 2013 08:30 until further notice

Original message:

Following an incident yesterday afternoon the headgate cill at Lock 74 has been damaged making Lock 74 inoperable. The Trent and Mersey Canal is therefore currently closed in Middlewich.

We are assessing the repair choices today and intend to update this notice by tomorrow morning with a clearer idea of the likely length of closure.

Customers are advised to wait on the visitor moorings at Kings Lock or use the pound below Lock 74.

Canal & River Trust apologise for any inconvenience caused

The bottom gates of this lock have been leaking badly for months. The quoins moved back in July, when they where then temporarily repaired by acro props, but this has been getting worse and many people, myself included have warned CRT that this was a problem. It seems like a boat caught on the top cull on Wed. I hear that another temporary fix should be completed by 4pm tomorrow.

The Feb stoppage was not in any consultation of national stoppages, just announced in October, with the rider to let CRT know if this caused a problem. I let them know, yes it caused me a problem & they basically didn't want to know as this was their PR exercise and open day. Unlike North Wales & Border waterways who have been proffesional, helpful & courtious in helping us work round their stoppages, Manchester & Pennines Waterways have been the opposite.

I believe that the 5 week Feb/March stoppage will still take place despite being told in the summer that the job could be completed over a weekend. I believe that CRT will not amend this stoppage as they have already publicised their open day.

Cheers, Brian

Aha! Found it by searching old emails for quoins instead of Middlewich... Pretty unforgivable that it's not on the stoppages list even if they don't update the PDF maps.

Trent & Mersey Lock 74

Monday 3 February 2014 - Saturday 8 March 2014

The quoins to the lock gates have suffered failure and vital repairs are needed to the lock. Works will also be carried out to the lock walls.

This is a change to the published stoppage programme. If the addition of this work to this programme causes difficulty please contact our office at Red Bull so that we can discuss this with you.

Charming of them - is this so they can have pretty people and corporate sponsors on the day?

Yes, proudly sponsored by their main contractors ;-)

Aha! Found it by searching old emails for quoins instead of Middlewich... Pretty unforgivable that it's not on the stoppages list even if they don't update the PDF maps.

Trent & Mersey Lock 74

Monday 3 February 2014 - Saturday 8 March 2014

The quoins to the lock gates have suffered failure and vital repairs are needed to the lock. Works will also be carried out to the lock walls.

This is a change to the published stoppage programme. If the addition of this work to this programme causes difficulty please contact our office at Red Bull so that we can discuss this with you.

Yes, we'll done for finding it. I was originally told they could replace the quoins over a weekend. Then they found others jobs that could be done. I expressed my annoyance with the lack of consultation & notice with David Baldachino at the User Group meeting, he told me to discuss it with the relevant person, which I did. They said they couldn't possibly amend it as there'd publicised it as an open day!

Update from CaRT:

"We currently have lock 67 on the Trent and Mersey programmed for the whole of January with Lock 74 programme for the first three weeks of February.

We are about to change the dates for Lock 74 stoppage as follows; start date Monday 3rd February until Saturday 15th February, the canal will reopen on the 16th February then closing again on the Friday 21st February, then stoppage will then run until 7th March."

Just seen e-mail sent 16:33 yesterday

Notice Alert

Lock 74

Monday 3 February 2014 08:00 until Saturday 15 February 2014 17:00

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Maintenance

Original message:

Further to our notice introducing this stoppage and seeking comments, we can confirm the following closure dates for this work.

Closed to navigation Monday 3rd February to Saturday 15th February inclusive.

Open to navigation Sunday 16th February to Friday 21st inclusive.

Closed to navigation Sunday 22nd February to March 7th.

The Canal will be re opened 8th March 2014

You can view this notice and its map online here:
http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/329/lock-74-trent-and-mersey-part-1

You can find all notices at the url below:
http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices