Overplated Springer

MunkeyBoy

Featured Posts

I may have missed it, but have yu actually now bought this boat?

The reason I ask is that the broker's sit now shows it as sold.

I would have thought it very unusual to over-plate an entire hull right up to the gunwale, as seems to be the case here. (Is that right, as there seem to be mixed messages about re-plate versus over-plate?).

Usually an over-plate only extends a relatively small distance up from the waterline, as anything that has never been immersed tends not to suffer anything like the corrosion of the bits that have.

Do you know any reasons for going right up to the gunwale, which I would have thought introduced more extra "high up" weight than there would normally be any need for, and may make the boat more prone to rolling when in water.

The boat don't roll no even with the plating up to the gunwhale as the overall weight will be evenly distributed.

I viewed the boat out the water today and the welder walked me round the boat happy to answer any of my questions about any part of the welding what so ever.

The entire hull has been over plated to the gunwales and triple welded ending up using 5 roles of mig weld apparently.

All hull fittings,exhaust and weed hatch have been adjusted to make sure they are correct. The hull has also been 2 pack blacked.

Internally the boat is dry.

Sounds to me that you really like what you see -- and want to buy it! Obviously a lot of work has gone into the hull. And two-pack epoxy (if that's what you're referring to) means you shouldn't have to pull it out of the water again for at least 8 years. Maybe this is it. You could certainly spend a lot more on a boat.

I would have thought it very unusual to over-plate an entire hull right up to the gunwale, as seems to be the case here. (Is that right, as there seem to be mixed messages about re-plate versus over-plate?).

Do you know any reasons for going right up to the gunwale, which I would have thought introduced more extra "high up" weight than there would normally be any need for, and may make the boat more prone to rolling when in water.

I agree with Alan it's a weird thing to do and the addition of all that weight may have implications, I'd be interested if the draught was still the 18 inches quoted, however, it looks like a hell of a nice job it mush have cost a fortune. I'd be prepared to take a punt on it if I specifically wanted a smaller boat, there seems to be a bit of a shortage of boats like this on the market at the moment, plenty smaller mainly with outboards and plenty bigger if that's what you want. Still not mad about the £10k price though.

K

I agree with Alan it's a weird thing to do and the addition of all that weight may have implications, I'd be interested if the draught was still the 18 inches quoted, however, it looks like a hell of a nice job it mush have cost a fortune. I'd be prepared to take a punt on it if I specifically wanted a smaller boat, there seems to be a bit of a shortage of boats like this on the market at the moment, plenty smaller mainly with outboards and plenty bigger if that's what you want. Still not mad about the £10k price though.

K

I took a punt at 7k and the extra weight at top has made no difference on the roll, the weed hatch and anything else that would be effected has been adjusted accordingly.

Even a little patch inside the engine bay where they moved the old gas locker (because the drain would now be to low) I picked up on as a possible corrosion spot the welder fixed and welded while I was there to ensure I was happy.

Compared to a lot of boat yards I have been to recently the team there at Aquecduct are second to none and despite it being a cheap project boat I felt as though the customer service I was given was as if i were spending loads of money.cheers.gif

Still not mad about the £10k price though.

I took a punt at 7k

Well that certainly sounds better than £10K, and sounds like you have yourself a shell that should hopefully be good for many problem free years - I hope so!

Good luck with the project!

I took a punt at 7k and the extra weight at top has made no difference on the roll, the weed hatch and anything else that would be effected has been adjusted accordingly.

Even a little patch inside the engine bay where they moved the old gas locker (because the drain would now be to low) I picked up on as a possible corrosion spot the welder fixed and welded while I was there to ensure I was happy.

Compared to a lot of boat yards I have been to recently the team there at Aquecduct are second to none and despite it being a cheap project boat I felt as though the customer service I was given was as if i were spending loads of money.cheers.gif

Nice one. Good luck with the project and being afloat.

Yeah best wishes, be good to see some internal shots now and as you refurb it.

Thanks I plan to keep the tounge and groove as I like that but will put in a modern camper style little kitchen under the boiler similar to what you get in the little VW campers the dinette will be converted into a sofa and I have an old boatman stove to go in too,I plan to keep it simple!

cough....the boat has been replated....

Yes, I did read that.

Just for the record, I referred to the likely original plating thickness of 3mm because plating of this thickness has very minimal margins for corrosion. Overplating is only a satisfactory repair if various criteria are met, one being that there is enough metal left to weld the new metal to. If not that is where the "overcoat" anaology comes in: the overplating might keep the water out but there is no adequate structural link to the rest of the shell. Worse, if the original skin is thin then it is possible that a plater will burn through the original skin, thus the void between the plating will not be sealed and water could get in from the inside causing corrosion. This would be difficult to find from the outside, so unless there is a record of the condition of the shell prior to overplating assumptions could be made, positive or negative. Hope you understand now matty40s.