Is Rotherham a Seaport Town?

Mick and Maggie

Featured Posts

It's a great video but I don't think it matches the associated description or the title which refers to Barnby Dun and Thorne.

I don't recognise anything in the video that looks like either of those locations even allowing for the passage of time.

Being Sheffield born and bred I know all those bridges from the basin. I had to walk over the one at 3.06 minutes everyday on my way to work as an apprentice electrician in 1964. All the bridges are still there including our famous 'acaduct' over Darnall Main Road.

Great memories

Thanks for posting

Alex

Said no one ever in history laugh.png

Eh? What dat mean?

It looks full of character and its location besidethe canal and surrounded by hills (unless they are slag heaps) is idyllic.

I suppose by now it's either been knocked down of done up into a half-million pound des. res.

Eh? What dat mean?

It looks full of character and its location besidethe canal and surrounded by hills (unless they are slag heaps) is idyllic.

I suppose by now it's either been knocked down of done up into a half-million pound des. res.

By full of character do you mean in a rubbish village on a functional flood plain?

Eh? What dat mean?

No sign of it as far as I can see

Picture and caption taken from Martin's excellent Pennine Waterways website.

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/sheffield/sy41.htm

sy058.jpg

"The remains of the former Conisbrough Lock. The old course of the river ran behind. The lock was opened out in the modernisation of the navigation."

By full of character do you mean in a rubbish village on a functional flood plain?

Oddly enough, no! I don't think I have ever been to Conisbrough (though my parents may have taken me to the castle when I was a small boy) but that view of the lock cottage is very inviting - maybe the photographer would have made a good estate agent, as he has carefully avoided including anything unpleasant in his picture.

So Conisbrough in real life is less attractive?

Oddly enough, no! I don't think I have ever been to Conisbrough (though my parents may have taken me to the castle when I was a small boy) but that view of the lock cottage is very inviting - maybe the photographer would have made a good estate agent, as he has carefully avoided including anything unpleasant in his picture.

So Conisbrough in real life is less attractive?

Yes

I had the displeasure of living there and Denaby and Mexborough just for good measure.

Cant make my mind up which was worsewacko.png

Edited by Naughty Cal

Now Denaby I have heard of - it was a mining village. I recall seeing "NCB Denaby" on the side of railway wagons, or coal lorries, or both.

Of Mexborough I know nothing except that the name conjures up images of people walking around wearing sombreros and ponchos. I assume that the once-neighbouring settlement of Texborough is now deserted.

Yes

I had the displeasure of living there and Denaby and Mexborough just for good measure.

Cant make my mind up which was worsewacko.png

Yet Spotbrough which is close by is a very pleasant place and not just down by the navigation either (though I admit I have never lived there).

Mexborough though does look a bit grim, even from the water as you move away from the botton lock.

All three villages are full of Neanderthals dragging their knuckles across the ground

as I say it seemed nice enough to me and the locals were friendly, there is also some very expensive looking housing in the village so some of the locals must be wealthy 'knuckle draggers'

as I say it seemed nice enough to me and the locals were friendly, there is also some very expensive looking housing in the village so some of the locals must be wealthy 'knuckle draggers'

Check out right move. They may look expensive but they ain't.

It really is the land that time forgot.

They were only friendly because they were looking to expand the gene pool :)

Check out right move. They may look expensive but they ain't.

It really is the land that time forgot.

They were only friendly because they were looking to expand the gene pool smile.png

Well the first five that come up are over and just under half a mill....

In my book that is expensive.

Terrace for £25k however really isn't!

Brand new house for £80k?

And for that price you get the authentic Neanderthal experience thrown in!

I can't actually find those on RM but looking at the house types generally and the prices they look quite comparable to where I live, if not a little better in fact.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?searchType=SALE&locationIdentifier=REGION%5E22236&insId=7&radius=0.0&displayPropertyType=&minBedrooms=&maxBedrooms=&minPrice=&maxPrice=&retirement=&partBuyPartRent=&maxDaysSinceAdded=&_includeSSTC=on&sortByPriceDescending=&primaryDisplayPropertyType=&secondaryDisplayPropertyType=&oldDisplayPropertyType=&oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType=&newHome=&auction=false

So gawd knows what that makes me.....

Terrace for £25k however really isn't!

Brand new house for £80k?

And for that price you get the authentic Neanderthal experience thrown in!

You have to bear in mind that terraces come free in a lucky bag round Martin's way.

I almost bought the Conisborough Viaduct many years ago but was talked out of it by a very sensible friend.

You have to bear in mind that terraces come free in a lucky bag round Martin's way.

I almost bought the Conisborough Viaduct many years ago but was talked out of it by a very sensible friend.

Oi....judge.gif

What the hell were you planning on doing with that BTW.

It is worth reminding ourselves that from a navigation perspective the run from South of Doncaster through Spotbrough and on under Conisbrough viaduct is actually one of the nicest bits of the system.

Sprotbrough
ZasPoCd.jpg
0dAZbWu.jpg
Conisbrough

pHa5KhB.jpg

GoseO9O.jpg

YZ85gLp.jpg