Generator smoking

Shinybeest

Featured Posts

Yes it would take a while to burn off excess oil, usually need to get it up to working temp, try to run under load for 10 mins. i doubt you would cause damage unless it was filled way over limit, honda generally solid built and do take a lot of mistreatment .

I disagree with the others. I'd expect the smoke to stop more or less immediately once you remove the excess oil from the sump.

If it continues to smoke I fear you have wrecked the oil control piston ring or cracked a piston.

MtB

I didn't make any judgement on whether any damage had been done so you didn't disagree with me!

Although certainly possible I think you'd be unlucky if there was any permanent damage. On bikes I've owned with a wet sump the result of an overfilled sump is increased crankcase pressure until it is equalised by dumping oil from the crankcase via the breather (if there is one) into the airbox or excess is burnt off. On bikes with dry sumps/seperate oil tanks there is a risk that the breather or return oil line will be submerged and let oil run back into the crankcase when the engine has stopped and the scavenge pump is no longer returning the oil from the engine to the tank. I would have said in general too little oil is more of a risk factor with a dry sump setup.