the golden age of canals on BBC4 now

deckhand

Featured Posts

we didn't realise until half way through. The mention of HADAR at the end was interesting. We could do with tele series looking at working boats and true life on the canal and rivers of today. I know that there are programmes and lots about the history of canals and historical boats, which is great, however, I would love to see what is going on out there on the canal of today, work being done now, (so interested in the Foxton pictures and the work being done there), the boats of today, the current working boats.

we didn't realise until half way through. The mention of HADAR at the end was interesting. We could do with tele series looking at working boats and true life on the canal and rivers of today. I know that there are programmes and lots about the history of canals and historical boats, which is great, however, I would love to see what is going on out there on the canal of today, work being done now, (so interested in the Foxton pictures and the work being done there), the boats of today, the current working boats.

There would probably have been scope until recently to have found enough material to have made a program about working boats plying their trade up the Trent and onto the Northern Inland Waterways. Sadly since the recent demise of the gravel barge runs only leaving the occasional Whitaker Tanker's run there wouldn't be much left to make a program about. sad.png

Other than coal/gas boats on other parts of the system I'm not sure how much else is left.

I think that there is more out there than perhaps we all realise. I have also heard of smaller businesses that operate on the canal, eg. cafe's, pubs, restuarants,. On our marina there is a boat that advertises will writing. I also know of a chap who makes fenders on his boat. There is also the traditional canal art businesses of which I am sure some operate from their boats and I know personally of someone who runs his Dog Training business from his boat. In addition to this, there are the businesses making their money from canalside work as well as the boat builders.

Maybe no-one else is interested in this but I would find this fascinating.

As Miss Hand suggets, there's more than just a few boats selling coal and diesel. Over the last couple of years I've seen a cheese boat (possibly two), a blacksmith's forge on a boat, various artists selling from their boats (of whom the most innovative, seen at Cropredy, was creating pictures by cutting up old LPs), a floating cafe or two, a fender maker's boat, one selling many types of sweets.....I'm sure there are more. People who run such businesses are not usually humdrum types and I'm sure their stories and their personalities would make good viewing.

Edited by Athy

On our marina there is a boat that advertises will writing.

Yes, we've noticed his boat, I wonder if he gets much trade, I've never noticed his boat move. (Although I suppose if it wasn't there, I wouldn't notice it!)

Yes, we've noticed his boat, I wonder if he gets much trade, I've never noticed his boat move. (Although I suppose if it wasn't there, I wouldn't notice it!)

no, ive never seen it move or have any signs of life either but maybe they are busy writing ;))