Fens Branch - what was last traffic?

Joseph

Featured Posts

Hello everyone

On my way to the Waterways History Conference in Birmingham last Saturday, I walked up the 16 locks at Stourbridge and along the Fens Branch to the junction with the Stourbridge Extension. The offside is lined still with factories, and my failing memory recalled that there was a small traffic from one of these even when the 16 locks were unnavigable. I think it may have ended as late as 1971?

Does anyone know which factory provided this final traffic? There are vague remains of wharves, but nothing obvious.

As usual, I would be very grateful if someone with a better memory than I was willing to share their knowledge about this.

Incidentally, at the bottom of the locks a gent, whose name I didn't get, kindly gave me a lift up to the basin on his boat TACET. If he's reading this, my grateful thanks!

Thanks

Joseph

Hello everyone

On my way to the Waterways History Conference in Birmingham last Saturday, I walked up the 16 locks at Stourbridge and along the Fens Branch to the junction with the Stourbridge Extension. The offside is lined still with factories, and my failing memory recalled that there was a small traffic from one of these even when the 16 locks were unnavigable. I think it may have ended as late as 1971?

Does anyone know which factory provided this final traffic? There are vague remains of wharves, but nothing obvious.

As usual, I would be very grateful if someone with a better memory than I was willing to share their knowledge about this.

Incidentally, at the bottom of the locks a gent, whose name I didn't get, kindly gave me a lift up to the basin on his boat TACET. If he's reading this, my grateful thanks!

Thanks

Joseph

That will be Ian and Karen Bingham - lovely couple.

Thanks everyone

Intriguing replies - and I wonder if I can ask a supplementary? I'm pleased that this section has survived and reasonably navigable - presumably used for water supply - but how often is it navigated? The Stourbridge Extension section is interesting, but it is worth taking a boat there?

And - anyone know where on the main line - definitely not through the locks - the last traffics were unloaded!

Thanks again

J