Chimney Collar Question

Athy

Featured Posts

A little while ago we "modified" our saloon stove chimney when it met the road bridge at Aynho. The external chimney was OK but the flue pipe was dislodged, causing inter alia the chimney collar, where the flue pipe passes through the ceiling, to break, and a section of ceiling to come loose.

The ceiling has now been restored but the collar was beyond repair, so the fitter who fixed the ceiling removed the pieces of remaining collar.

Now, we may soon want to use the stove. The flue pipe is not touching the wooden ceiling at any point, but I feel that we ought to have a new collar for safety's sake. I can't see how one could be fitted without removing the flue pipe and then putting it back. I'd like to know: firstly are (round) chimney collars available in parts, so that you can fit them round the flue pipe without removing the latter?, and secondly, if I can't find such a thing, will putting silver foil around the aperture, as people often do behind their stoves, provide adequate protection from the flue's heat?

Ahoy Athy. The flue pipe if straight and inline with the stove outlet and collar aperture should easily pull up and out through the roof. Even if cranked as long as the crank is not too close to the ceiling it ought to lift up, swing outward a little, enough to clear the stove and be removed from inside the boat. Fitting the new collar you may find that the flue hole and the two bolt holes are not quite the same as the old. The flue hole may need enlarging slightly and the bolt holes re-drilling or altering slightly with a round file. The inner part of the new collar maybe too deep to get the bolts nuts started if its as low as your wooden ceiling and you will either have to lower the ceiling or easier still place the new collar in place and spot through from the roof through the bolt holes and drill smallish holes straight through to and through the ceiling panel then go inside and open these two small holes out with a hole saw to just a little over the diameter of a socket which will fit the nuts. Once the collar is on and the nuts tightened up with a socket and bar these two holes can easily be camouflaged with a homemade wooden bung or fairing. Slightly angled 6'' cast iron collars are obtainable from Limekiln chandlery where I bought one online to do the same job on a boat last week. Don't get an aluminium one they don't last long.