Hot 1.8 difficult to start

musicman

Featured Posts

Hi

I've been pondering what to do about a problem that surfaced this summer whilst we were cruising. It is a BMC 1.8 that starts from cold OK after 20 seconds or so on the glow plugs. The starter battery is a year old and well charged.

On more than one occasion this summer, we stopped for lunch (as you do) and when I came to re-start the engine, it was like the engine was really tight. The starter sounded like there was no power in the battery. The engine turned slowly and didn't want to fire up. More than once, I was thinking that I might need a push start!! or a tow!! Voltage on the starter battery consistently above 12.5v.

I was thinking about removing the starter motor and taking it to someone for inspection - but the more I think about it, this seems an unlikely problem, since the engine always starts from cold with no issues.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

If it's turning over more slowly it has to be either the starter or the engine. It's a no brainer really, the starter is the easiest one to start checking. My own opinion would be the starter is the problem as the engine runs fine when hot or cold but the starter plays up when it's hot. The problem is not with the engine running. It only plays up when trying to start so the starter has to be the obvious choice.

If it was maintaining 12.5 volts under cranking then its almost certainly a bad connection - especially the battery terminals - or a faulty master switch - especially if it has a horrid plastic key.

If it was a stuck starter brush (isolating one field coil) I would expect the voltage to drop to 12 or less, but that would give the symptoms save the voltage.