Manchester Ship Canal

adam1uk

Featured Posts

That is interesting - I recall a thread on another forum going on at length because someone asked whether a NB without nav lights could navigate the tidal Trent in daylight hours, legally. IIRC I think it is strictly speaking a requirement, but thankfully common sense prevails as very few NB's comply with the "Rules of the Road" regulations.

Common sense will only prevail until an accident occurs.

Common sense will only prevail until an accident occurs.

Like tupperwares hitting marker buoys in daylight?

If you are travelling in good visibility then there is no need for nav lights and even if you have them fitted it won't stop accidents happening!

Cheers

Gareth

Like tupperwares hitting marker buoys in daylight?

If you are travelling in good visibility then there is no need for nav lights and even if you have them fitted it won't stop accidents happening!

Cheers

Gareth

Indeed and that accident is still under investigation.

If you are travelling in good visibility there is little need for nav lights but how can you guarantee that good visibility is going to be availble for the whole of your trip?

We have set off from Torksey in bright sunshine only to hit a big bank of fog on the Humber just below Hull.

If you are in thick fog in a busy shipping lane I think having nav lights...especially of the size fitted to most pleasure craft... won't help a great deal! Much better to keep a good watch...both visual and aural..and a steady course.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar

If you are in thick fog in a busy shipping lane I think having nav lights...especially of the size fitted to most pleasure craft... won't help a great deal! Much better to keep a good watch...both visual and aural..and a steady course.

Cheers

Gareth

It is a bit tricky to keep a good look out when the furthest you can see is just ahead of your boat.

In this instance nav lights and regular position updates from us and other vessels were all we had to keep us safe!