Changing my boats name

Darren72

Featured Posts

I know those superstitious folk out there say its bad luck to rename a boat unless its out of water. When I rename my boat do I just inform CaRT and my insurance company?

Take it in a dry dock, drain the water out put on the new name then fill the dock up again!! Voila.

Sorry, I didn't realize that there was a superstition behind changing the name of about in that way.

I am aware that some people uphold a superstition in relation to changing of a boat name generally but you seem to be saying that there is a further superstition regarding the boat being in or out of the water.

I actually like your boat name. It's original.

• Greenie 1

It's only a "superstition" if you don't agree with the practice. - If you do it's called a "tradition".

But neither apparently applied to canal boats, which were renamed often.

Boatmen were generally less superstitious than sailors- narrow boats are "it", not "she", have a whole host of different terminology for different bits, and can be renamed at will.

A rose by any name.............

But watch out for the pricks!

Dave renamed his boat (in the water) when he first bought her and then his wife left him! ..... and he met me - he says that is the luckiest thing that has ever happened to her. (what a sweetie!)

We renamed her again this year (the old name was a combination of the star signs of him and his ex wife) I am not in any way superstitious but for the fun of it I made a paper boat and got the signwriter to write the old name on there and set her sial while I sprinkled a bit of guinness over the bow (in the water) - the paper boat promptly sunk very fast.

Really the superstitions regarding name change on the old wooden sailing boats might have had some basis but I think it is a huge shame when anyone feels so threatened by any superstition that it affects their life and costs them money that could be better spent elsewhere.

If you can, ignore superstition and do what suits you. If you can't ignore superstition then do just the minimum that you are comfortable with

We changed the name on ours when it was out of the water, only reason being so i could get the letters on straight, and i failed on the starboard side!

Still we moor port side so no worriesbiggrin.png

Lynall

The other boat on the canal here, hade the name paintet on the stern horizontal with a libelle, I think, but the boat was heeling :-)