STERNS

anthony

Featured Posts

Accepted. :D

..... I believe the cruiser stern came about to make engine maintenance simpler on the new breed of hire boats, rather than as a platform for social gatherings.

That may be part of the reason, but the main reason is probably cost. It takes a lot of the builders time to fashion a correctly proportioned traditional stern, wheras the cruiser stern is much quicker and easier to fabricate, it also uses less steel.

Some time in the far dim distant future, when I commission my new boat, I'm going to design my own stern. A sort of cross between a trad stern and a semi trad stern sort of a semi semi trad stern :D (Suzi sells sea shells on the sea shore :D )

I'd like a tug style hull with the big engine room near the rear, dont want a boatmans cabin, so the engine can go nearer the stern, there'll only be two of us by then and I doubt if we'll ever live on it just some months at a time if I'm lucky.

The rear hatch will be very wide with a small landing allowing a social area when the hatch is open, but sufficiently traditional to look about right and have the advantages listed. Just an idea at present but maybe reality some day. :D

There are some boats with a large rear hatch (almost full width of the roof) with a smaller hatch within that.

The only problem??? is that the large hatch can be 'heavy' to move, this will give a 'traditional' with only the small hatch open and a bit more room with the large one open.

There are some boats with a large rear hatch (almost full width of the roof) with a smaller hatch within that.

The only problem??? is that the large hatch can be 'heavy' to move, this will give a 'traditional' with only the small hatch open and a bit more room with the large one open.

I haven't seen this myself.. but seems like a fairly good idea..

I am personally a Trad person.. I just like the fact that although people can be up there.. normally im up there by myself enjoying the cut:)

Although having said that because we soled the share in the NB (looking for another one) we are hiring a 70fter with a Semi Trad from Alvechurch Holidays from the Anderton base next week.. but that was the families choice

Hi Bottle,

This is the rear canopy we are having made from alumiminum for our semi trad. When it is open we have a semi to provide space for the grand children etc and when closed we have a trad for a bit more weather protection for the steerer.

The success of this canopy is with the runners it moves on, a heavy canopy on bad runners will be very difficult to move.

I will let you know once ours is fitted how easy it moves.

Hi Mick?

The one that I know of was built as a 'trad' just the hatch was made larger than 'normal'.

The hatch moved from over the engine room.

They will look very similar but whats under the hatch will be different, you will no doubt have some seating, this boat only had room for people to stand with the steerer.

The one that I know of was built as a 'trad' just the hatch was made larger than 'normal'.

Hi Sam, Bottle and co...

I like the look of the two stage hatch over the semi-trad myself but also wondered if it's a bit heavy

For the benefit of sam who hasn't see it - got these pictures from the Mel Davies site

032t.jpg

033t.jpg

Allan

Hi Sam, Bottle and co...

I like the look of the two stage hatch over the semi-trad myself but also wondered if it's a bit heavy

For the benefit of sam who hasn't see it - got these pictures from the Mel Davies site

032t.jpg

033t.jpg

Allan

forgive me if im missing the point but what is the purpoise?

I like the idea of being able to cover the 'semi-trad' bit for security when moored, while having the seating available for cruising

OK - I admit it's not a lot different from having a large sliding hatch...

Allan

Edited by AllanW

I just added flexablitly.

- You affectively have both a semitrad which can be securely covered of when left.

- AND a trad, with small hatch, doors, (heeter) etc, for when you at the helm and its cold and wet!

Daniel

Thanks AllanW

for finding a picture, as I stated before the one I saw was a traditional layout, not a 'semi'.

Anthony

as Daniel said it makes for more flexible way of using the stern and keeps out the inclement weather.

Our first boat had a small rear deck, small hatch in a trad stern.

The new one had a slightly larger rear deck but with a larger (longer and wider) hatch.

It allowed more socializing but was very heavy. As brass had been shelved in favour of stainless steel for the roof vents/fittings (it was always my job to polish them) it seemed an option to replace the heavy steel hatch with a stainless version.

Even got the fabricator to weld a large stainless nut at the back of the hatch which, with a bolt that has the head cut off screwed in when needed, allows an umbrella to be slid onto the vertical bolt.

Total success, so for me it's a trad stern, rear deck (size in keeping) with a large stainless (could be painted aluminium) hatch.

I've just returned from a week on Middlewich Narrowboats, "Maple". On the frosty mornings of the last three days I was glad of the proper back cabin with coal fired range to keep me cozy as I steered. There were plenty of Canal Time and Alverchurch boats on the Llangollen and Montgomery canals with freezing steerers standing alone on their semi-trad sterns. Your sociable fair-weather friends and family will desert you to the warmth of the cabin on days like these. :angry:

How big a party do you want to have? Trad is very sociable - cosy even - for two - one in the hatch, one to the side or slightly further back. Cruisers are fine if that's what you like (I'd rather have the space inside, plus there's the aesthetics of it) but semi trad is an abomination. Since you asked.

hmmmm 44 views and not one reply guess it must be a daft question.

I dont think it's a daft question at all. My nb is 32ft long with a cruiser stern but it has a square back (like Springer but it's not a Springer). Now I think my boat is great and apart from the usual boat problems, the one thing that cause me a problem is the square stern. When leaving the bank or manoeuvering the back end will always strike the side.

Most boats irrespective of the stern type are pear shaped (rounded) at the rear and this allows for much more manoeuverability at the rear.